boat lights

hi  all whats your thoughts on a led light bar up on the top of a bow rail i am thinking of installing  one because the last 2 miles up on the river where  my boat is its pitch black and always lots of debris   just to get some ideas i dont want to hold a torch out the window it bounces back in the windows thanks boys any knoledge would be great 

10 minutes ago, daio web said:

hi  all whats your thoughts on a led light bar up on the top of a bow rail i am thinking of installing  one because the last 2 miles up on the river where  my boat is its pitch black and always lots of debris   just to get some ideas i dont want to hold a torch out the window it bounces back in the windows thanks boys any knoledge would be great 

I use a strong remote control search light mounted on the roof. You can pinpoint where it shines and doesn't light up the fire deck so much. 

I think the less light the better to get your night vision in. My old plotter was really easy to dim but the new one had 6 menus to go through. 
I have too remote control spots on the shed roof that are useless as they just light up my bonnet. 
I think you may also fall foul of colregs if you are running with forward facing white lights. 

19 minutes ago, JonC said:

I think the less light the better to get your night vision in. My old plotter was really easy to dim but the new one had 6 menus to go through. 
I have too remote control spots on the shed roof that are useless as they just light up my bonnet. 
I think you may also fall foul of colregs if you are running with forward facing white lights. 

The new plotter is sooo east to dim. 

I have a marine light bar but to be honest rarely use it as the light picks up on the slightest of mist making it quite difficult to see far ahead. Like the legendary JonC mentions, less light is often better, as your eyes will adjust to the darkness. Most plotter sounders have night mode, which turn the screen to a lower red light which also allows your eyes to stay adjusted to the darkness. On our rescue boat we have total deck and cab lights red for night searching situations. 

This is the one I have but only occasionally use in certain situations.

1848758365_ScreenShot2023-02-11at9_13_28am.thumb.png.71a88bf07b0942921db6e10945c4794e.png

On 2/10/2023 at 7:17 PM, JonC said:

Just give the on / off button a quick press and it takes you straight to the brightness/day/night menu 🙄