You tube etc..

Saintly Fish

Who understands how to boost a personal you tube / TikTok account views? 
I know there are certain ways to do it, but the lingo and tech stuff is a bit above my head. Basically I'm trying to boost my sons online guitar videos, but it's a real slow process. I dont understand how some shit videos get infront of all the good content. 
Any help gratefully taken! 

I don't know for sure. They use various algorithms to serve up content aligned with stuff people have viewed previously e.g. "serve them more of the same", so I'd start with working out what audience segment you want to target - presume music lovers and guitar players. Can you use key words in the description to teach the algorithm what sort of content you're producing, so that it can serve it up to people who have viewed similar stuff previously?

I also see clickbait-y video titles being used more and more, so maybe try this too - for example "Young boy breaks fingers playing Master of Puppets!!" is sure to get a few clicks

Here's what Google themselves say about boosting YT vids: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/141808?hl=en-GB#:~:text=Use video descriptions and banners,find videos on your channel.

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Who understands how to boost a personal you tube / TikTok account views? 
I know there are certain ways to do it, but the lingo and tech stuff is a bit above my head. Basically I'm trying to boost my sons online guitar videos, but it's a real slow process. I dont understand how some shit videos get infront of all the good content. 
Any help gratefully taken! 

Spamming the links everywhere on the internet seems to be successful for some folk.

But is the 'toobe ' the way forward ? , maybe tiktok might work better ?

Edited by GPSguru

Just now, GPSguru said:

Spamming the links everywhere on the internet seems to be successful for some folk.

But is the 'toobe ' the forward ? , maybe tiktok might work better ?

Yeah he's on TikTok , but that also is slow. But doing better than the tube. 
@tanksmusicrocks

I rarely post on there but like mentioned its weird how some get heaps of hits while others not so. Personally I post mostly so my family can see what, where and how we are doing.
I did a quick video test with a second hand compact camera a few years ago and put it on YouTube which got a fair amount of views (750k) . Then my account got hacked and I had to start again under a new name as my name is now being used by someone else. Funny thing is that same video is now back up to 431k. Now my account is so full of adds I just don't bother with it, which is a shame as most of my views were from JonC.

2048164387_ScreenShot2023-03-29at9_21_11am.png.32f52fe3336fef129d29c2df71227466.png

8 hours ago, JDP said:

I rarely post on there but like mentioned its weird how some get heaps of hits while others not so. Personally I post mostly so my family can see what, where and how we are doing.
I did a quick video test with a second hand compact camera a few years ago and put it on YouTube which got a fair amount of views (750k) . Then my account got hacked and I had to start again under a new name as my name is now being used by someone else. Funny thing is that same video is now back up to 431k. Now my account is so full of adds I just don't bother with it, which is a shame as most of my views were from JonC.

2048164387_ScreenShot2023-03-29at9_21_11am.png.32f52fe3336fef129d29c2df71227466.png

The question was how do I improve my sons channel. Not "how great is your channel" 🙄

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

It is on the poster of JDP on your bedroom wall 🤣

The problem with that is that nobody knows what he looks like, he just posts up random pictures of other people with fish. 

14 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

The question was how do I improve my sons channel. Not "how great is your channel" 🙄

That's why I didn't post a link to mine. How many hits does he normally get after a week ? My youngest daughter (not the one who fishes) recently started posting a few of her outback adventures where they encounter various snakes and crocodiles which can get a few thousand after a week but none have gone crazy. Like I mentioned Im not trying to gain publicity, I simply post so my family in the UK can see them. 
My son posts music videos but more on other platforms, which can get several thousand views in a day, where YouTube gets very little traffic. I will enquire which ones he uses when I next talk with him but Im sure he doesn't do anything special to attract views as he's worse than me in regards to tec.

What sort of video's is he making ? is the content interesting and exciting.

9 hours ago, JonC said:

@JDP  have you got a link to your channel? it sounds great. 

4 hours ago, JonC said:

The problem with that is that nobody knows what he looks like, he just posts up random pictures of other people with fish. 

Ive posted more pictures of myself with fish than Ive seen of yourself, though I don't like posting pictures with dead fish much as I cop to much grief from the greenie sector over here, so I take pic's of the people I take instead. I tend to only fish with my family or one other family, who's kids have grown up with with my kids. Though I do take a few fellas from time to time from various sites and old UK fishing buddies and can't wait until you head over for a fish with me. When you head out here I will post pic's of us both together 🥰

Edited by JDP

8 hours ago, JDP said:

What sort of video's is he making ? is the content interesting and exciting.

His videos are of him playing his guitar. His biggest video to date has just 215 views, but a short he did got 520 in a week then stopped dead. 
He's into heavy metal music so maybe it's a bit too niche, but there are plenty of tickets out there. 
iif you use TikTok check him out @tanksmusicrocks is his handle. 
Or his YouTube videos are on my channel that originally is named Neil Burrow. 

15 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

His videos are of him playing his guitar. His biggest video to date has just 215 views, but a short he did got 520 in a week then stopped dead. 
He's into heavy metal music so maybe it's a bit too niche, but there are plenty of tickets out there. 
iif you use TikTok check him out @tanksmusicrocks is his handle. 
Or his YouTube videos are on my channel that originally is named Neil Burrow. 

I don't have TikTok but Im pretty sure that's where my son gets better views from for his music videos also. I will get my son to show me  Neil's stuff later today when he gets home. That sounds strange though how it just suddenly stopped at 520. 

How old is your son and does he play publicly anywhere ? My son has just hit 18 and though we live in a very quite small population town, my wife says he's had 27k on one of his from a month ago, while better songs have had under 10 in several months.

14 minutes ago, JDP said:

I don't have TikTok but Im pretty sure that's where my son gets better views from for his music videos also. I will get my son to show me  Neil's stuff later today when he gets home. That sounds strange though how it just suddenly stopped at 520. 

How old is your son and does he play publicly anywhere ? My son has just hit 18 and though we live in a very quite small population town, my wife says he's had 27k on one of his from a month ago, while better songs have had under 10 in several months.

Leo is 11, so no he doesn't play publicly. 

58 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Leo is 11, so no he doesn't play publicly. 

Doe's he busk at all ? my lad was doing very well at that age busking at markets and fund raisers. I suppose it's a fair amount easier doing his acoustic and vocals at those sorts of venues than heavy metal, though it was heavy metal that first attracted him to the guitar. 

7 hours ago, JDP said:

Doe's he busk at all ? my lad was doing very well at that age busking at markets and fund raisers. I suppose it's a fair amount easier doing his acoustic and vocals at those sorts of venues than heavy metal, though it was heavy metal that first attracted him to the guitar. 

No he don't do busking. He'd probably get mugged, you've not been to the UK for a while huh! 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

No he don't do busking. He'd probably get mugged, you've not been to the UK for a while huh! 

No not been back for a while but things seem much the same on the IOW according to family I have there. Im not planning on heading back over until JonC gets the spare room ready and a tank full of fuel in his boat!!!!!

2 hours ago, JDP said:

Im not planning on heading back over until JonC gets the spare room ready and a tank full of fuel in his boat!!!!!

I seem to remember him telling me the spare room has been ready for ages and he's on tenterhooks every time the phone rings in case it's you?

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I seem to remember him telling me the spare room has been ready for ages and he's on tenterhooks every time the phone rings in case it's you?

Unfortunately my cat who is 15 years old now occupies the spare room. He doesn’t like sharing 

• 2 weeks later...

My son looked at your young fellas link, his advice is to interact with people who comment (tough for my lad being dyslexic). He posted a video Friday of himself and another young lad simply doing a quick song sitting on the grass which has had just under 8000 views over the weekend. Considering we live in a quiet small population area the views must be coming from much further afield. By the way its TikTok which he is using which he claims the best for quicker views. 

I don't think the views really help in way for my lad though, his reputation only comes from his last gig. If yours wants recognition consider one of the talent shows. Does he also sing, or would he like to sing and has he considered acoustic at all ? My son started with electric and metal before moving to music that can turn a few $$$ on a weekend and now he makes more in a couple of pub gigs than his full time work earns (aged 18).

6 minutes ago, JDP said:

My son looked at your young fellas link, his advice is to interact with people who comment (tough for my lad being dyslexic). He posted a video Friday of himself and another young lad simply doing a quick song sitting on the grass which has had just under 8000 views over the weekend. Considering we live in a quiet small population area the views must be coming from much further afield. By the way its TikTok which he is using which he claims the best for quicker views. 

I don't think the views really help in way for my lad though, his reputation only comes from his last gig. If yours wants recognition consider one of the talent shows. Does he also sing, or would he like to sing and has he considered acoustic at all ? My son started with electric and metal before moving to music that can turn a few $$$ on a weekend and now he makes more in a couple of pub gigs than his full time work earns (aged 18).

Leo started on acoustic, and does still play it. But he doesn't like it, he only plays it so he can master the music theory and techniques for his electric. There is no way he will be contemplating playing acoustic for fun at the moment. 
It's hard to interact with people's comments when they don't really leave any!! It's early days and I'm sure regular content will get him more followers, he doing ok, 400 in 3 weeks is quite good. I'm more interested in how technically I can get his videos infront of people, I don't really understand the process of # and @ if I'm honest.