Another on Yak fishing

This was going to be a comment on another Yak fishing video but for obvious reasons Ive decided to post as a new thread so I don't get in trouble again!!!!!

Tricky trying to get decent fish away from snags and caves etc in a Yak on long fast action rods and light drags. I use 4ft kids rods (well built ones) which are extremely parabolic, which brings the leverage close to the angler rather than 6-7ft away at the tip of a fast action rod. This greatly helps with stability in a Yak and becomes almost like hand lining big groupers and small sharks etc as the power is brought so close to the angler, which obviously helps in terms of safety in choppy water. 

The rod is just 3-6kg rating but easily handles the saragosa 6000 at full drag with 65lb braid and 80lb leaders. With these rods being so light they also have great action for working soft plastics. We first bought these about 5yrs ago simply as a challenge to see who could land the best fish using them but soon discovered just how much fun they are. Ive used this particular one on all sorts from shore sharks to kingfish off the reefs and even almost landed a small black marlin with it.

Obviously little rods such as this aren't going to have decent casting range, so for that we use 6ft light rods in the 2-4kg or lighter size with c4 stradic 3000 and 8-10lb braid. These light outfits are used on Au salmon and bluefish in the 4kg size and small tuna.

8ED7B135-797A-448D-9E8D-1184F5692D0F.thumb.jpeg.380f8d1d5d148dd2730b3ed1a90e3745.jpeg

7FD3488A-87A2-440F-BFDA-A39F9C13BB46.thumb.jpeg.9c1a5272dc3e04f2c5d8f44e2f34a8e0.jpeg

9641BE55-1ED5-4DD7-8EBC-58D3242D0924.thumb.jpeg.9bcfca8daed492a284fcd442acd2096f.jpeg

Edited by JDP

12 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Good post. Interesting that rod design and action could be considered "safer" for kayak users. Hadn't thought of that before.

And well done for starting a new post for this. @JonC will be pleased! 🤣

I do try to consider him all the time, I feel we are sole mates!!!!!

I'm not sure, and specifically from a UK perspective. 

I use a maximum length rod of 8' usually 7 and they work well on crash diving pollock but if I used the rods above I would possibly get snapped off as I have the fins underneath and a short rod would not help avoid it. Another thing is feel, I like the weight and balance and all that goes with a longer rod. If I need balance then I'll hook my feet over the side and keep the rod closer to the bows.

Edited by Malc
Addendum

14 hours ago, Malc said:

I'm not sure, and specifically from a UK perspective. 

I use a maximum length rod of 8' usually 7 and they work well on crash diving pollock but if I used the rods above I would possibly get snapped off as I have the fins underneath and a short rod would not help avoid it. Another thing is feel, I like the weight and balance and all that goes with a longer rod. If I need balance then I'll hook my feet over the side and keep the rod closer to the bows.

Ive not had an issue ever with the hobie kayak getting line under the feet paddles, can't you position your feet so the paddle sit flush with the bottom of the hull.

12 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Which rods do you use Jon?

Various rods but the little ones are a 1-3kg ugly stick which is very light and the other doesn't have a brand name and doesn't seem to come up in any searches. The no brand one is the one which has landed the best fish and became very popular even on charter boats.

A81C43DA-852D-4AFE-8C56-4C074B339F9D.thumb.jpeg.2eae8992b390831e389115ff3c317548.jpeg

This shark was caught using the little white rod, people I was fishing with bait it couldn't be done. The hard bit was trying to cast a big bait out far enough with it, not landing the shark. I had to do a sort of a discus rotation and get the release right to get the bait out, luckily these sharks come very close to shore.

The lighter ugly stick was used in the same location with very light line 6lb to see how many species I could land from the shore on the remote island I was staying at. I can't remember exactly how may but Im sure it was around 14 species with some of the fish getting up around 8kg.

Im not sure of this species but possibly a sandbar or a bronze whaler with a humped back, any ideas ?

01Oct2022_1362.thumb.jpg.138eaf3d123821ddb2a74de364ee1ff1.jpg

Edited by JDP