Bait gear required!!!

Hoop

Having moved on all non essential gear to justify to myself for the considerable outlay on a happy Jappy stick, I now find me self in the position of requiring beach gear....... AGAIN. Quite happy to leave he bait gear alone though there are several times a year I get a little nostalgic, Cod, Hounds, Ray and bream.. A very dear old mate of mine, some what of a mentor in professional life, is going through some tough times with ill health including rapidly reducing vision.. 

Obviously the chap struggles and although the angling bug burns as bright as it ever has, he's clearly nervous about getting out. Due to the safety risks of lone fishing, he's pretty much just knocked it on the head.. with a little encouragement from his wife and I, I'm going to get him out and rather than just sitting on my arse or being planted to the spot with the lure gear, kind of figured I'd be a participating chaperone.

Having looked at the price of decent, used gear up for sale I'm in shock. Led to believe Zipplex went bust, not a big fan but the following Zipplex generates is akin to a cult following. I saw one rod, a Bullet, unused and recently built by the god of rod builders, Chris dance (from memory),.... they want a grand for it. Crazy. I moved on top end Daiwa Tournament rod last year for under 200 notes, like new.. for the same rod, its closer to 300. 

Anyhow, if anyone spots any half decent gear up for grabs for reasonable money, please let me know. Multi preferable, Penn or Daiwa, stick, ideally something akin to a century tip tornado supermatch or similar.  I'd like a fishing capable of smashing the horizon rather than a tool that hits the horizon and is garbage to fish with.

Otherwise on a local note (Solent), Hounds are already rolling in off the beach to double which is a touch early but apparently the Ray fishing has been crap, non existent. Oh, apparent the calling signs of Bream have also been noted.. 

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Shame you want multi, because I have a few FS beach rods that you could choose from! 

Hey Neil, what have you got up for grabs? Not against a decent conti..

47 minutes ago, JonC said:

I saw a very nice diawa amphouroud on Facebook 

A115980A-6689-4F4C-B0CC-BA6BB9ABDF13.jpeg

Hey Jon, thanks for pinging this across.. my PB Bass came on one of these, will have a nosy. Ta much.

10 minutes ago, Hoop said:

Hey Neil, what have you got up for grabs? Not against a decent conti..

Hey Jon, thanks for pinging this across.. my PB Bass came on one of these, will have a nosy. Ta much.

It seemed quite a B lot of money at £180 but I know they are sought after rods and I guess if it’s condition is good then it won’t depreciate unlike cheaper stuff. 

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Or a cheaper version, 

I also have an Ian golds beach caster that is made from a Zziplex blank. But that's a bit special, and I'm not 100% I wanna off load it, even though I never use it. But might 

I would cut two foot off and make an uptider. 
Make sure if you do that you cut the thick end otherwise it might be a bit stiff, like @captin slows old outlaw’s scratching rod.

16 minutes ago, JonC said:

I would cut two foot off and make an uptider. 
Make sure if you do that you cut the thick end otherwise it might be a bit stiff, like @captin slows old outlaw’s scratching rod.

Wood cost me more to convert it than sell it and buy a new one. I don't have the skills or mats to do the job so would have to get a pro to do it. And it's a 3 piece.

27 minutes ago, JonC said:

It seemed quite a B lot of money at £180 but I know they are sought after rods and I guess if it’s condition is good then it won’t depreciate unlike cheaper stuff. 

This is what I was saying about prices. Nice rods but not a touch on modern gear.. reckon its probably not far younger than myself. Mine made a nice heavy bass rod for chucking whole mackerel with 7-8oz leads.. couldn't wind a pendulum with bait and hit any real distance, that said when I find it I'll ping him a message.

24 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Or a cheaper version, 

I also have an Ian golds beach caster that is made from a Zziplex blank. But that's a bit special, and I'm not 100% I wanna off load it, even though I never use it. But might 

My advice would be to keep it, fukin nightmare to replace and will only cost you more! 

Don't know much about Vercelli, something is saying Italian or Croat and big on the match scene. If and when you're next drowning worms, any chance of having a wiggle? 

14 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Wood cost me more to convert it than sell it and buy a new one. I don't have the skills or mats to do the job so would have to get a pro to do it. And it's a 3 piece.

I recon it would take about 5 seconds with a 4” cutting disc. 

7 minutes ago, Hoop said:

any chance of having a wiggle? 

Of course. Although I never go beach fishing. Maybe once a year at most. You're welcome to come take a look though. 
And yeah, they're Italian quality rods. 

Edited by Saintly Fish

26 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Of course. Although I never go beach fishing. Maybe once a year at most. You're welcome to come take a look though. 
And yeah, they're Italian quality rods. 

As the Hounds have arrived, could be worth while making that yearly trip soonish. Two birds and all that.. 

7 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I do keep thinking of Hamble spit! 

Not sure I know this mark, is it at the mouth.. more or less in front of the marina? Had stacks of Bass on lures at that spot..

2 minutes ago, Hoop said:

Not sure I know this mark, is it at the mouth.. more or less in front of the marina? Had stacks of Bass on lures at that spot..

Yes, a 2 hr before low water mark. Walk out to the point then a gentle lob into the channel. Bream, hounds, bass and codling in winter. Turn 180 deg and fish into the shallows for thornies. 

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Yes, a 2 hr before low water mark. Walk out to the point then a gentle lob into the channel. Bream, hounds, bass and codling in winter. Turn 180 deg and fish into the shallows for thornies. 

Ahh, so I do know it. Bass were easy pickings on the ebb, so great takes off the top. Never fished it at night, assume its a nighttime thing? Be interesting, let me know when! 👍

8 minutes ago, Hoop said:

Ahh, so I do know it. Bass were easy pickings on the ebb, so great takes off the top. Never fished it at night, assume its a nighttime thing? Be interesting, let me know when! 👍

Not necessarily an evening venue, but daytime can get busy with boats in and out of the river. Dingy racers are a pain as they come real close and like to collect lines with no regard for others. 
Maybe we can talk @Andy135 into appearing. His fee is low these days! 

21 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Not necessarily an evening venue, but daytime can get busy with boats in and out of the river. Dingy racers are a pain as they come real close and like to collect lines with no regard for others. 

I'm up for it. Not wetted a line for ages. When are we going?

59 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Be nice to catch up with familiar faces. Mind you, Andy as a heads up..  I've heard stories about the public toilets around that area... 😳 .. worried Neil didn't include any safety warnings. 🫣😂

37 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ive just had a quick look at the tides and there is not a suitable low until mid June. 
Maybe another venue!

Yeah I had a quick look, currently into Springs, expect the next set of springs to see more numbers of Hounds but they are there now.. or during the neaps hit Bass. 

Hillhead on the / a spit hounds, rays and not many dogs.. Andy. Warsash, Lepe, hurst also springs to mind.

14 hours ago, Hoop said:

As the Hounds have arrived, could be worth while making that yearly trip soonish. Two birds and all that.. 

Have you got your Stormsure tape yet Steve ?

I found some here that was given to me as a sample a long time ago, I assume it will still be Ok (sealed package) and you are welcome to it if you want.