SPJ rod guides

1 hour ago, Looe Keith said:

I want to get a “proper” SPJ rod and I really like the idea of the spiral guide train as I’m forever getting the line wrapped around the tip with conventionally rigged guides. What are your thoughts? 
Thanks 

Spiral guides have very little to do with tip wrap. It most often happens if you allow too much slack line on a pitch and the wind blows to line back onto the rod tip. A better solution is to use ‘K’ guides which are forward facing, so the line naturally slides off them. A better solution is better line control for the fishing conditions.

I use a Temple Reef Gravitate Ill , and 2 Hearty Rise Slow Jigging II rods, all equipped with palm sized Maxel narrow spool jigging reels.

Last year, whilst not concentrating, I hooked a biggish pollock and was tip wrapped, luckily the 3rd ring from the tip snapped together with the braid (20lb PE1). All that was required was to replace the fuji K series ring, and Temple Reef were really helpful with telling me what Fuji ring to use.

Yes, SPJ is very addictive, and these days it is  a rare occurrence for me to get the Red Gills and flying collar out.

Agree with the above. Careful line management will help you avoid tip wrapping. I have a spiral wrapped rod (Temple Reef Gravitate II) and it's certainly not foolproof when it comes to being tip wrapped. Good jigging technique will help though.

The guy in the video below is a bit annoying but he does demonstrate good technique by keeping the line under tension with no flappy loops floating about.

Thanks both. I tried a spiral wrapped rods aboard Silver Halo on Wednesday and while it think it helped a bit, I was still getting problems. You comments about good jigging technique seems to be spot on,,, so something for me to work on. Just need these annoying easterlies to stop again and I'll be able to work on this 🤞

18 minutes ago, Looe Keith said:

Thanks both. I tried a spiral wrapped rods aboard Silver Halo on Wednesday and while it think it helped a bit, I was still getting problems. You comments about good jigging technique seems to be spot on,,, so something for me to work on. Just need these annoying easterlies to stop again and I'll be able to work on this 🤞

How did the trip go? Put up a catch report. 👍

1 hour ago, Looe Keith said:

I can guess which wrecks that Matt took you too, so you probably caught some decent Pollock, as the Bass are a bit thin on the wrecks at the moment. Matt and I both primarily fish the same wrecks.

On Wednesday morning, we were Mackerel fishing near the Orestone for a few hours, as it is chum making time for shark fishing next month.

Spiral guides are used to help the angler play the fish…. On big game rods they are becoming more popular as it reduces the twist torque on a conventional guides mounted on top of the rod. 

I’ve got 2 shark rods built that way and 2 conventional. In the hopes my customers can have whatever they prefer… hopefully they get a bend in soon