Penn mags

Evening gents

ive got a pair of original penn 525 mag mk1’s that i used during my beech fishing days. Havnt used them in yonks. I have been toying with getting some Penn fathom 15 lever drags but Are these any good for fishing from the boat ? How would they compare to the fathoms ? They always seemed pretty robust to me.

TIA 

37 minutes ago, Herbs73 said:

Evening gents

ive got a pair of original penn 525 mag mk1’s that i used during my beech fishing days. Havnt used them in yonks. I have been toying with getting some Penn fathom 15 lever drags but Are these any good for fishing from the boat ? How would they compare to the fathoms ? They always seemed pretty robust to me.

TIA 

I would think that they would be ok for lighter uptide/ boat casting. I have the 535s and they are very good reels. I think the penn 525s were a bit bigger than the Abu 6500 that were the other main rival in their day.

29 minutes ago, JonC said:

I would think that they would be ok for lighter uptide/ boat casting. I have the 535s and they are very good reels. I think the penn 525s were a bit bigger than the Abu 6500 that were the other main rival in their day.

That’s what I was thinking, maybe use them for bass and hounds in shallower water ?  they are a bit sturdier than the Abu 6500’s. 

Nice reels, built using same parts as 535. Good hearing on American made models. Be good on a 12-20lb boat rod and likely handle a lot of fish no problem 🙂 

21 hours ago, Herbs73 said:

That’s what I was thinking, maybe use them for bass and hounds in shallower water ?  they are a bit sturdier than the Abu 6500’s. 

Yeah I wouldn’t go on a tope hunt but for summer bass fishing they will be fine. 
I used one of the penn fathoms on Sunday, very smooth but it seemed really wide and the handle seemed to be  a long way round. Guess it’s just different to what I’m used to. 

On 6/15/2023 at 5:14 PM, JonC said:

Yeah I wouldn’t go on a tope hunt but for summer bass fishing they will be fine. 
I used one of the penn fathoms on Sunday, very smooth but it seemed really wide and the handle seemed to be  a long way round. Guess it’s just different to what I’m used to. 

Which fathom was it ?