shockleader

hi guys how many of you use a shockleader  i have never used them before i go between mono and braid  i think that its just another weak link our am i wrong in thinking that  i use about a 7 once lead and bait so it be close to 8 / 9 onces  thats a lot of strain on about 20 / to 25 pound line any thoughts please

2 hours ago, daio web said:

hi guys how many of you use a shockleader  i have never used them before i go between mono and braid  i think that its just another weak link our am i wrong in thinking that  i use about a 7 once lead and bait so it be close to 8 / 9 onces  thats a lot of strain on about 20 / to 25 pound line any thoughts please

Depends where you did really. And for what. Over rough/rocky ground I'll always use a rubbing leader. But if I'm just fishing for say bream then no. Don't for get the skin of a hound is like sand paper, if he gets rapped in line he could easily run through a thin mono or braid. 

8 minutes ago, daio web said:

ok thanks neil i think i will fit one this  coming season  and give it a go   what lb line is best to use 50 / 60  because i am worried about the knot passing though the eyes

Again, it depends on what you're fishing for. Generally I'll use 40lb mono. If you use a streamlined knot like the FG it'll pass through your tip rings no problem. 

its for this winters cod fishing i was going to change back over to braid again as i like the thin diameter line but what would the fg knot be like from braid to shockleader  do you mean 40 pound shockleader our 40 pound mainline thats a bit heavey up yer for that 

19 minutes ago, daio web said:

its for this winters cod fishing i was going to change back over to braid again as i like the thin diameter line but what would the fg knot be like from braid to shockleader  do you mean 40 pound shockleader our 40 pound mainline thats a bit heavey up yer for that 

FG knot braid to 40lb rubbing leader. 

56 minutes ago, daio web said:

this fg knot does not look easy prctice i guess  i will try a few times tonight thanks bud

If you go into the AppStore and search 3D knots, there is a great app that will show you how to tie all kind of knots. 

On 7/27/2023 at 10:43 PM, daio web said:

this fg knot does not look easy prctice i guess  i will try a few times tonight thanks bud

There are some helpful YouTube videos. I prefer doing pr knots and nearly always use leaders on all types of fishing from light spin to heavy game. In saying that I fish far lighter line class than most would be using on equal sized fish in the UK. Decent joins won't fail, it will be a knot at a swivel, hook or lure where the weak link will be.

Edited by JDP

On 7/27/2023 at 6:25 AM, daio web said:

Generally I use about 1 rod length + 3 turns on the reel of 30lb rubbing leader ( I tend to use ‘blackout’). The knot I use is the PR bobbin, since using it I haven't bothered with tying the fg (which is a pita on a moving boat). The braid I use is 28lb spectra.

22 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Generally I use about 1 rod length + 3 turns on the reel of 30lb rubbing leader ( I tend to use ‘blackout’). The knot I use is the PR bobbin, since using it I haven't bothered with tying the fg (which is a pita on a moving boat). The braid I use is 28lb spectra.

thanks bud i will have a look at that pr  knot to see whitch one is the best 

2 hours ago, JDP said:

There are some helpful YouTube videos. I prefer doing pr knots and nearly always use leaders on all types of fishing from light spin to heavy game. In saying that I fish far lighter line class than most would be using on equal sized fish in the UK. Decent joins won't fail, it will be a knot at a swivel, hook or lure where the weak link will be.

thanks bud i will have a look at this video now 

I use 25lb straight through if in the Bristol channel, weed can gather on the leader knot and jam up in the top eye. A pita if you have a decent fish on

If reefing or wrecking I always use a rubbing leader similar to GPS's reply 

I have had the mono snap on occasions if there's no real tide and the line gets caught around some coral or rough ground, but that's usually my fault for either letting too much line out or just being lazy and not keeping my eye on the ball