Gt Yarmouth 8/9/23

suzook12

7 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Another day out and for once the conditions were perfect, flat sea and sunshine..... Other than a bit of fog hanging around first thing (went over Breydon bridge and  couldnt see the water at all....).

I ended up driving the boat once out of the harbour as we headed North out of Yarmouth. Once near the first mark, the skipper took over and set us up for our first set of drifts for mackerel. This mark proved to be hard work so tried 2 other marks and similar story. We managed about a dozen small mack so set up after tope, with the plan to fish til slack water then go after mack again......

Couple of taps, but nada, back to drifting for mack, and nothing, not a touch! Loads on the finder but not having any of it. New mark, and back after tope and finally, one of the lads who has never had a tope before, hooked in to one. 50lb male boated and returned. And that was it. The fog closed in very quickly so we headed back, me at the wheel again, man that makes ya twitchy, watching the plotter, watching the radar and staring through the fog and still looking for pot bouys. Obviously, the skipper was keeping a very cautious eye on proceedings taking over again once near the shipping lanes. We settled on a mark just outside the harbour, trying for a smoothie or something, but even this went fishless. Something was out of sorts today. Even saw about 3 dead sea birds float by.....

2 mack saved the blank for me, but still on 4 tope in 4 trips and managed to christen one of the new rods today......

Shame about the lack of fish Steve. Neap tides and flat seas don't ever seem to produce much for some reason. It's the same round here, I was thinking it was me but you've just proved it's not!! 👍🏻 

Fog driving gives you a twitchy bum don't it! 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Shame about the lack of fish Steve. Neap tides and flat seas don't ever seem to produce much for some reason. It's the same round here, I was thinking it was me but you've just proved it's not!! 👍🏻

I even wondered if the air pressure climbed for yesterday, but was actually lower than previous few days. Conditions should be same today, so will see how the boat fares today.

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Fog driving gives you a twitchy bum don't it! 

Hell yeah!!

On 9/9/2023 at 9:15 AM, suzook12 said:

I even wondered if the air pressure climbed for yesterday, but was actually lower than previous few days. Conditions should be same today, so will see how the boat fares today.

We had constant bream all day Saturday - seemed they were ravenous despite the heat and lack of tide