Pollock ban ?

jonnyswamp

I'm on a skippers whatsapp group and there was a lot of chatter Friday regarding a ban on fishing for Pollock starting 1st Jan 2024

Some stating it was just commercials (though they will be allowed a 200 Ton by-catch) and some saying it will be a complete blanket ban, including recreational

I was at a funeral all day Friday and have only just remembered, does anyone know anything concrete

I could Google it I suppose, but there's far more knowledge on here than there I'm sure

Edited by jonnyswamp
Extra info

I’ve heard it’s only south coast and nothing set in stone…. Angling trust apparently fighting to make sure recreational is not included…

Goven lack of cod in channel maybe a cod ban be a better idea 🫣🫣🫣😬😬😬

4 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I’ve heard it’s only south coast and nothing set in stone…. Angling trust apparently fighting to make sure recreational is not included…

Goven lack of cod in channel maybe a cod ban be a better idea 🫣🫣🫣😬😬😬

i agre with that

18 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I'm on a skippers whatsapp group and there was a lot of chatter Friday regarding a ban on fishing for Pollock starting 1st Jan 2024

Some stating it was just commercials (though they will be allowed a 200 Ton by-catch) and some saying it will be a complete blanket ban, including recreational

I was at a funeral all day Friday and have only just remembered, does anyone know anything concrete

I could Google it I suppose, but there's far more knowledge on here than there I'm sure

TBH I cant really see how that would work for recreational anglers, because if you fish a wreck or deep reef, then any caught pollock will be ‘blown’ by barotrauma and wont be going back. 

on Friday we took home more than our Bass quota due to blown and gill hooked fish 🙄, and I can see this would be a regular occurrence with any Pollock quota.

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

No mention of recreational anglers being affected, only commercials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-67737277

It is going to mean a huge rethink for the commercials and their tactics.

For what I have seen, the commercial rod / line guys catch more Pollock than Bass, so the by-catch quota will soon be eaten up.

Also, the netting of wrecks, primarily for Bass during Oct - Dec, is indiscriminate gill nets so the dominating specie will probably be Pollock, (along with Ling, Gurnards, Cod, large Wrasse, etc, etc), and by the time the nets are pulled most of the fish will be dead or dying., so again, a huge chip into the by-catch quota.

I can't really see it working, and of course the Devon and Cornwall IFCA will turn a blind eye anyway !