trolling wights

If you plan on making any, I use these double eyed molds https://store.do-itmolds.com/Trolling-Sinker-Molds_c_178.html

Personally I don't like the leads with swivels inserted into the lead as I found they tend to break off after a few uses, not sure if its the heat from the molten lead that weakens them or what.

What speed, depth, lure size, and line class will you be wanting to use them for ?

I’ve got a mould for 6oz leads which are inline leads I use for shark rigs. 

I don’t like eyes/swivels in leads as another point of failure in your set up. 

11 hours ago, JDP said:

If you plan on making any, I use these double eyed molds https://store.do-itmolds.com/Trolling-Sinker-Molds_c_178.html

Personally I don't like the leads with swivels inserted into the lead as I found they tend to break off after a few uses, not sure if its the heat from the molten lead that weakens them or what.

What speed, depth, lure size, and line class will you be wanting to use them for ?

at the moment . i dont really know

as i have just started to look into  doing it. i never dun trawling before. speed wise would be 4 to 5 nots, with brade on the real .

when i was yonger ( yes i know that was a long time ago  jon )there was a whaight that you twisted the line around the body of the whaite

3 hours ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

at the moment . i dont really know

as i have just started to look into  doing it. i never dun trawling before. speed wise would be 4 to 5 nots, with brade on the real .

when i was yonger ( yes i know that was a long time ago  jon )there was a whaight that you twisted the line around the body of the whaite

Jardine spiral. Useful as easy to remove from line when using spinners for bass and mackerel 

I use a "D" shaped lead about 10oz on my kayak sometimes when travelling from mark to mark and want a couple of mackerel, but I don't go faster than 2kn. It's on a handline with 2-3 tinsels above and a traditional mackerel spinner below. I've had it for years, possibly from the mid 80's but I haven't seen those for years. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mike farrants said:

great thanks - i've drifted with a Portland rig before but not trolled - and with a paravane what's the set up there?

I don't use a paravane, I adjust the amount of lead to control the troll depth. Around here, 3oz seems to work well.

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

thanks ian - so 3oz ball lead, portland rig,  at 2knots

redgill type lure? soft plastic? 

Usually a 115mm red gill, in blue/white. Fiish minnows (or a lookalike) in khaki also work, especially over rough ground as they are weedless.

if it is a very bright day the maybe silver pearl, if it is a darker day then black can often work well.

we also troll feathers to find the mack when thay are thin on the ground.

I use a paravane if I’m bored and fancy a scenic cruise 🙂 I run it about 8ft up from a J13B on an old spinning rod. No big bass but had some when cruising the haven at 3knts