boat cutless update

4 minutes ago, daio web said:

well boats been on the slip way up our club for just over a mounth now i only brought it in for what  needed doing  boat still there so removed the old cutless bearing as gone real bad it does not help with the real muddy water up hear  its like valve grinding paste thats another story fitted new cutless and realign engine back to the shaft thats all done noticed a little oil leak coming from the exhaust manifold so pulled that of to fit a new one but when i took it of the gasket looked ok so next i took the rocker box of to find all the valve sealed all sitting differnt on the vales so ordered new head gasket top end set pulled the head of and it looks like the gasket give way from a oil port to the outside edge of the gasket took all the valves out new valve stem seals and had the seat all the valves again with valve grinding paste  so put it all back together now just waiting on the big tides this weekend coming to see if its ok happy boating all 

also when the head was of i put all the injectours in to be recond nothings cheap anymore 

14 hours ago, daio web said:

well boats been on the slip way up our club for just over a mounth now i only brought it in for what  needed doing  boat still there so removed the old cutless bearing as gone real bad it does not help with the real muddy water up hear  its like valve grinding paste thats another story fitted new cutless and realign engine back to the shaft thats all done noticed a little oil leak coming from the exhaust manifold so pulled that of to fit a new one but when i took it of the gasket looked ok so next i took the rocker box of to find all the valve sealed all sitting differnt on the vales so ordered new head gasket top end set pulled the head of and it looks like the gasket give way from a oil port to the outside edge of the gasket took all the valves out new valve stem seals and had the seat all the valves again with valve grinding paste  so put it all back together now just waiting on the big tides this weekend coming to see if its ok happy boating all 

Urgh, that sounds a pain of a job. Good on you for taking the bull by the horns though.

Curious as to why you had to lap the valves again? I thought they only needed lapping after installing new valve seats or new valves with old seats. As a side note I replaced a burnt valve on an old Astra I had years ago and never bothered to lap it in and it ran fine.

20 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Urgh, that sounds a pain of a job. Good on you for taking the bull by the horns though.

Curious as to why you had to lap the valves again? I thought they only needed lapping after installing new valve seats or new valves with old seats. As a side note I replaced a burnt valve on an old Astra I had years ago and never bothered to lap it in and it ran fine.

i fitted new valve stem seals aswell made sense with the head of old ones had gone hard 

10 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

That snowballed a bit then 🫣

Well done on sorting it and not just settling on "it'll do"

Got to get mine out in a few weeks time, didn't get chance last Oct/Nov 

Pretty sure the cutlass bearing is on the list too 😭

yeah fair bit done always something to do i hear the fishing as been real bad  probaly going more west this summer  the cutless bearing was not that bad to do its the realigning the engine all the best with yours if you need a hand give me a  call