Advice needed

As you all may have read I purchased a boat from Just Boats in Southampton for 10k a fast fisher, I viewed it and see the engine pumping water through muffs for approximately 10 seconds before the engine was turnt off, boat delivery became a problem after I had paid, first it was one person delivering them someone different and so on, after around 2 weeks I got it delivered, Jon C helped me get in the water and it became immediately apparent the engine wasn’t pumping water, I managed to get my engineer to tow the boat over to his workshop where he fully stripped it down to find pieces of rubber in the water ways, originally the gasket kit for the power head was coming from Cambridge outboards but that got closed down because of covid (temporary) so I contacted Just Boats and he said I can get them sent out next day, this was Wednesday last week, nothing arrived Thursday Friday Saturday or Monday and today I phoned him to be told they have been sent to the wrong address? My long winded question is am I being impatient? I am very very close to backing the boat and asking for a refund, the boat was delivered on or around the 11th December.

Hi Mick,

No, you're not being impatient. Sounds like very poor service to me.

I have to say that if it were me I'd have sent the boat back as soon as it stopped pumping. There are so many good boats out there that buyers can afford to be choosy. I know it's probably not what you were hoping to hear, and as I say, it's just my opinion, but I'd always be wondering if the blockages had cooked the head and warped it, or wondering if all the rubber pieces had been removed/were any left inside. Boating is supposed to be enjoyable and recreational. I don't want to be worrying about whether any long term damage had been done to my engine.

Mick, when you ring do you speak direct to the company owner (Mark?) or one of his yard rats? 
He does have a quite good reputation for selling honest boats. If I were you, try to speak to the organ owner and not the monkeys. Then give him an ultimatum, send the parts next day delivery to the correct address or take the boat back and gain a shit review on google. See how quick he jumps then. Nothing like a poor internet review to effect a business. 
I presume your mechanic has checked the rest of the engine?? If it’s all ok, gets the parts, repair the engine and enjoy the boat. Chalk it up to experience and move on.  

I think possibly the only thing you have done wrong is to get your guy to look at it/strip it without getting the go ahead from just boats. That way they would have been accountable.....

It does sound to me like they replaced the impellor without finding the rest of the old one....

I believe there is an element now of putting it down to experience and moving on as @Saintly Fish suggests.  Citizens Advice is also a good call by @Gordmac

Dont go throwing threats around until you know where you stand legally, you may end up needing them and they might just f**k you off.....

Hope it all ends well and soon

Steve

@KennyPowers If this is the merc 60hp there is a known problem with the powerhead gasket / grommet disintegrating. Make sure when it's repaired that they use the updated merc kit as below.

"That'll be the grommet closed up where the water pipe meets the adaptor plate. It's a common problem, we've done 2 this week. Mercury have a re work kit to solve it!

You'll need a 32-897971A01 water tube/seal kit, 27-892320001 adapter plate gasket, 27-892319001 powerhead gasket, 10-4007455 bolt, as it usually snaps when you remove it. £164.45 incl vat!!!!!!"

This whole situation is fucking wrong. @KennyPowers I think you’ve done well not to air this all over the place, I don’t think anyone would blame you if you did. Not that I think that it would get you anywhere but a good rant does make people feel better. 
The only slight upside to it is that it has been crap weather anyway and this lockdown shit is going to keep us indoors a bit anyway, although I know you live local to the marina so you would have been able to go out legally. 
As @suzook12said there probably isn’t any mileage in kicking off about it as it may just make things worse.At least the seller is agreeing to cover costs albeit slow going. 

4 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I think possibly the only thing you have done wrong is to get your guy to look at it/strip it without getting the go ahead from just boats. That way they would have been accountable.....

It does sound to me like they replaced the impellor without finding the rest of the old one....

I believe there is an element now of putting it down to experience and moving on as @Saintly Fish suggests.  Citizens Advice is also a good call by @Gordmac

Dont go throwing threats around until you know where you stand legally, you may end up needing them and they might just f**k you off.....

Hope it all ends well and soon

Steve

The engine repair was all done with there acceptance, they are paying for it, the alternative was collecting the boat (2.5hrs and returning it fixed) my option was the easiest for them.

1 hour ago, andydavy said:

@KennyPowers If this is the merc 60hp there is a known problem with the powerhead gasket / grommet disintegrating. Make sure when it's repaired that they use the updated merc kit as below.

"That'll be the grommet closed up where the water pipe meets the adaptor plate. It's a common problem, we've done 2 this week. Mercury have a re work kit to solve it!

You'll need a 32-897971A01 water tube/seal kit, 27-892320001 adapter plate gasket, 27-892319001 powerhead gasket, 10-4007455 bolt, as it usually snaps when you remove it. £164.45 incl vat!!!!!!"

That part was checked and is fine, it may have already been changed, wrong rubber was used wasn’t it? And it swells and closes of the water way? The power head is being removed and all gaskets replaced including the adaptor plate.

23 minutes ago, JonC said:

This whole situation is fucking wrong. @KennyPowers I think you’ve done well not to air this all over the place, I don’t think anyone would blame you if you did. Not that I think that it would get you anywhere but a good rant does make people feel better. 
The only slight upside to it is that it has been crap weather anyway and this lockdown shit is going to keep us indoors a bit anyway, although I know you live local to the marina so you would have been able to go out legally. 
As @suzook12said there probably isn’t any mileage in kicking off about it as it may just make things worse.At least the seller is agreeing to cover costs albeit slow going. 

I am really annoyed, as sad as it sounds I would have liked just sitting on it doing a few bits etc, kill switch etc.

6 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Mick, when you ring do you speak direct to the company owner (Mark?) or one of his yard rats? 
He does have a quite good reputation for selling honest boats. If I were you, try to speak to the organ owner and not the monkeys. Then give him an ultimatum, send the parts next day delivery to the correct address or take the boat back and gain a shit review on google. See how quick he jumps then. Nothing like a poor internet review to effect a business. 
I presume your mechanic has checked the rest of the engine?? If it’s all ok, gets the parts, repair the engine and enjoy the boat. Chalk it up to experience and move on.  

I’m confused by who’s who now, I spoke to one bloke to buy it, another when I paid, the bloke who I first spoke to delivered it, the bloke I am now speaking to is Mark? 

It’s ironic really when my engineer run into difficulties getting the gasket set because of Cambridge outboards office getting covid, Mark said I’ll get them no problem, so far he has had a week without doing it, then on the phone this morning he said we could have picked the boat up and returned it done in a week, I was like firstly you didn’t offer that and secondly you can’t even get a set gaskets delivered in a week how was you going to pick up repair and re deliver the boat in a week? 

1 minute ago, KennyPowers said:

It’s ironic really when my engineer run into difficulties getting the gasket set because of Cambridge outboards office getting covid, Mark said I’ll get them no problem, so far he has had a week without doing it, then on the phone this morning he said we could have picked the boat up and returned it done in a week, I was like firstly you didn’t offer that and secondly you can’t even get a set gaskets delivered in a week how was you going to pick up repair and re deliver the boat in a week? 

So what’s the plan? Is he ready sending the parts and the engineer sending him the bill for labour?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

So what’s the plan? Is he ready sending the parts and the engineer sending him the bill for labour?

It’s a weird old set up, I have Mark on text and WhatsApp but keep getting Rick phoning telling me and how sorry he is bla bla bla, originally my engineer was doing it all and then billing them, in fairness to them I think I said before they were told what my engineer had done and they said and that point can you go to the last stage which ultimately has lead to the power head gasket set being needed, it’s just been a massive balls up, obviously we haven’t got round to the vhf radio cutting off and the switch not working on the forward facing search light🤣🤣

31 minutes ago, KennyPowers said:

The engine repair was all done with there acceptance, they are paying for it, the alternative was collecting the boat (2.5hrs and returning it fixed) my option was the easiest for them.

Fair enough then. Find someone that has the gaskets etc in stock, ring Just Boats and get them to pay for them then get them sent direct to you.... If its a royal mail delivery insist on special delivery as they have been terrible recently, compared to DPD and the likes.

Have you raised the VHF issue with them yet? No reason why they wouldn't just supply you a new one, tho you may have to send them the old one first... Switches are cheap enough, just matching it up although may be a wiring issue, easy to check with a multimeter....