Rotten weather for boatwork

Too cold, too wet and far to windy to do any boat work. Despite the rotten weather on Wednesday I decided to bite the bullet and get my Fairline Carrera out of the water (river Nene) and try to get the outdrive leg finally sorted out (the problem is the internal bearing for the jackshaft has too much play and needs replacing). Sadly this means the engine has to come out and that is something that I am unable to do myself. Anyway, in the wind and rain we did manage to get the boat out and onto the trailer and it is now at the repairers premises. I am thinking of replacing the 280 duoprop leg with spare a single prop leg that I have as the engineer seems to think that the 165hp deisel motor may perform better with the SP leg. I am not so sure, but would be happy to try that. The 280SP leg that I have is in very good condition, but I could do with a couple of parts. Does anyone have an old or scrap Volvo 270/280/290 leg that they wish to sell or get rid of? I will post this in the classified section. Geoff.☺️

Thanks Andy, but to be fair I let my friend do the worst bit (the wading). Our club slipway is a bit shallow and despite the fact that my 3500kg trailer is longer than it need be (can carry a 30' boat if it weighs less than about 2850kg), it was still necessary to enter the water to attach the winch line. My trailer has 64 rollers and with a bit of a wind the boat pulls on fairly easily. In the old days Joyce and myself never had any problems launching and retrieving, but without waders it would have been too cold on Wednesday. The Carrera is not really very big and my old RR sport handles it easily. I am now just looking forward to getting her back into the water, but doubt that I will ever tow her to the coast again - that is what the FF is for. Although I call the boat a Fast Fisher, really fishing comes a poor second to me as my main interest is boats - using/mending/building and generally messing about on them, which does of course include fishing.:classic_wink: I am not as dedicated to fishing as the majority of our members, but love reading the posts of you lot of diehards. I do not think that Joyce will ever allow any of our boats decks to be awash with fish blood, entrails or scales. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

Thanks Andy, but to be fair I let my friend do the worst bit (the wading). Our club slipway is a bit shallow and despite the fact that my trailer is longer than it need be (can carry a 30' boat if it weighs less than about 2850kg), it was still necessary to enter the water to attach the winch line. My trailer has 64 rollers and with a bit of a wind the boat pulls on fairly easily. In the old days Joyce and myself never had any problems launching and retrieving, but without waders it would have been too cold on Wednesday. The Carrera is not really very big and my old RR sport handles it easily. I am now just looking forward to getting her back into the water, but doubt that I will ever tow her to the coast again - that is what the FF is for. Although I call the boat a Fast Fisher, really fishing comes a poor second to me as my main interest is boats - using/mending/building and generally messing about on them, which does of course include fishing.:classic_wink: I am not as dedicated to fishing as the majority of our members, but love reading the posts of you lot of diehards. I do not think that Joyce will ever allow any of our boats decks to be awash with fish blood, entrails or scales. Geoff.

Are you going to bring Joyce with you and the FF in July Geoff? 

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

Ok good. Will she go fishing with you, or stay land bound? 

I rather expect that she will be on the boat unless the weather is ☺️really bad, in which case I too will stay on land - I am  fair weather sailor. Geoff

47 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I rather expect that she will be on the boat unless the weather is ☺️really bad, in which case I too will stay on land - I am  fair weather sailor. Geoff

Well I’m sure if she wants to stay land bound , Michaela will come for a coffee or a G&T!