Tohatsu Outboards

I’m considering and researching options for a new outboard .  I have searched this site and seen some reviews of the small Tohatsu engines.  The max size for the wee boat is 20 hp.  I’m taken by the 7 year warranty (with a pinch of salt of course) but they appear to be solid engines.  I think I need to upgrade from 2 stroke / pull start / and get rid of the smoker.  

Anyone got or had experience with Tohatsu in the 20 hp range?  I’ve currently got a Mariner and had a number of Mariner two strokes in the past. 

Interested to hear your thoughts. 

10 minutes ago, OrkneyCorkney said:

I’m considering and researching options for a new outboard .  I have searched this site and seen some reviews of the small Tohatsu engines.  The max size for the wee boat is 20 hp.  I’m taken by the 7 year warranty (with a pinch of salt of course) but they appear to be solid engines.  I think I need to upgrade from 2 stroke / pull start / and get rid of the smoker.  

Anyone got or had experience with Tohatsu in the 20 hp range?  I’ve currently got a Mariner and had a number of Mariner two strokes in the past. 

Interested to hear your thoughts. 

To be honest I don’t think these days there is such a thing as a bad engine. Tohatsu always have had a good rep as reliable. I’m no expert but I think they are rebadged engines from another manufacturer. @suzook12 could probably shed more light? 

Tohatsu's have a good reputation. There was some badge changing back in the day where they made outboards for other manufacturers and possibly vice versa but the short answer is that a 20hp for your Coastliner will be a good investment.

Couple of things to consider...

Your transom will be a fair few years old by now and will have been designed for lighter 2 stroke engines. Check the weight of any 4 stroke you intend to put on it and make sure it's not excessively heavier than your current engine. Also worth ensuring your transom is still sound and dry.

I had a 20hp Honda on my 440, and I had the electric start plus pull start version. I found having the pull start option comforting in case I ever had a battery failure, so might be worth getting an engine with both starting options "just in case".

Thanks, modern digital ignition systems that start at the turn of a key are very very appealing.   I’m getting past all this hand pull to start stuff.   Because the 30 year old outboard has lived on the back of a garage kept boat all it’s life it looks like new.  Should help fund a new four stroke. 

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Tohatsu's have a good reputation. There was some badge changing back in the day where they made outboards for other manufacturers and possibly vice versa but the short answer is that a 20hp for your Coastliner will be a good investment.

Couple of things to consider...

Your transom will be a fair few years old by now and will have been designed for lighter 2 stroke engines. Check the weight of any 4 stroke you intend to put on it and make sure it's not excessively heavier than your current engine. Also worth ensuring your transom is still sound and dry.

I had a 20hp Honda on my 440, and I had the electric start plus pull start version. I found having the pull start option comforting in case I ever had a battery failure, so might be worth getting an engine with both starting options "just in case".

Good points there, transom is solid - but will check weights of any prospective purchase.  Also hadn’t thought about battery failures so hand pull back up option would be handy.

Am I right in thinking the hull of the Coastliner and 440 are the same or were there some tweaks that improved the 440? 

Just now, OrkneyCorkney said:

Am I right in thinking the hull of the Coastliner and 440 are the same or were there some tweaks that improved the 440? 

I believe they're the same but then it seems odd that Orkney went to the effort of rebranding the Coastliner to 440 without some tweaks to justify it. I wonder if they updated the transom to take the 4 strokes that they sold them with under the 440 name. Probably worth a quick call to Orkney to check.

57 minutes ago, JonC said:

I have a pull start tohatsu 6, it started second pull after being stowed on its side for a year. 

My 4 hp 2 stroke Mariner does similar. But the 15 can sometimes be a a bit more tricky.  It’s very easy to flood the carb and then takes a fair few pulls to get it fired up.   

It’s on those occasions when you see other turn the key and their engine busts into life that you dream of some newer technology 🤔 

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

To be honest I don’t think these days there is such a thing as a bad engine. Tohatsu always have had a good rep as reliable. I’m no expert but I think they are rebadged engines from another manufacturer. @suzook12 could probably shed more light? 

As I understand it, most small engines currently available are rebadged Tohatsu's (Nissan), that may be out of date now, hard to keep up if you're not in that trade..... Yamahas stuff is their own afaia, there was a tie with Nissan and Honda which may have been the mid range Honda and smaller tohatsu....

As Neil has said, if you stick to the big names, it's hard to get a bad engine these days