A few hrs in the BC

jonnyswamp

Decided on a short trip Sunday, as we all had stuff to get back to around 4pm

I had a tray of Strongbow with my name on and the others had various BBQ's/pub commitments

So, out through the 7am lock to a beautiful sight (if you call coffee coloured, sanitary towel ridden water beautiful)

2021-05-03_01-06-18

and a rather pleasant run up the Channel for a go at a few Bass

Anchor dropped in 8ft of rising water and rods out by about 8ish

My 2 usual crew (Mike and Mark, aka Shuff and Nipper) were joined by a newbie, Little Dai, who certainly came prepared

2021-05-03_01-00-34

As we were getting the 2.15 inbound lock, it was decided to stay put and not move about, as the mark we were on wasn't really specific being a rather large sand bank

Fishing was slow with Nipper netting 3 around the 2lb mark, had to keep one as it was deep hooked and bleeding (it was also just in size)

2021-05-03_12-59-32

Little Dai had a good tussle with a small thornie, that put a hell of a bend in a 20/30lb rod

2021-05-03_12-59-51

And I just had the one Bass that went bang on 2.5 lb and 460mm, which will be tea tonight

2021-05-03_01-01-21

And no, I couldn't hold it any closer to the camera

The 4 Bass came to squid/rag cocktails on the uptide gear, with the downtide rods not faring too well in the shallow water

As Shuff can't cast due to a shoulder injury (ironically caused by casting) he stuck to downtiding and blanked ( he's a stubborn old coot who won't let me cast for him)

High water was supposed to be around 11.30, but with a building south westerly against the tide, we didn't fully turn until well after 12

With the wind trying to push the water back up the Channel, it was getting a bit uncomfortable and Little Dai's Saturday tea of Lamb stew was threatening to reappear

I called time at Just after 1pm and we made our way back towards Cardiff doing a sluggish feeling 14/15 knts through a nasty chop and a couple of rain showers

The worsening weather must have called time on most of the other boats activities as well, as all 3 locks had to be used, for both the fishing boats and the WAFI's

#theresalwaysnextweek

42 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Good session that. Well done.

Not sure about the Captain's hat & camo combo though. 🤣

And as for the beautiful jam rags.... 🤮🤣

Yes, they are a pain

They get stuck between your teeth when clearing the line