Autum Trout

JDP

Heading into cool weather here, combined with canceled charters due to 3m swell and strong winds makes for a good time to head into the mountains in search of trout.

The 3.30am start cut me out after a hectic week on the abalone boat Ive been skippering but my crazy daughter is always keen to fish or hunt anytime and any conditions.

There was a bit of snow last week but that had melted off now but in the next few weeks the snow will be heavy and the trout even more of a target for those who head inland.

First fish was a small brown followed by a cracking wild creek trout. To say she was stoked is an understatement and topping it off with a good sized wild sow pig was the icing of the cake for the start of the weekend. We have around 24 million wild feral pigs in this country that cause huge ecological problems for the native wildlife and flora. Looks like we are eating pork this week!!!

831793853_ScreenShot2021-05-09at10_35.42am2.png.c4931fd6043a6c891f7dac2ddf0ad4e0.png

1525557541_ScreenShot2021-05-09at10_36.23am2.png.da215bd6c22ad9944bbeb7449d59d30c.png

29 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Cracking creek trout that Jon. Bet it put up a good fight. 👍🏻

No not really, more like a wet sock rolling about in the water flow. Browns aren't known for sporting fights over here, its more a case of how pretty they are. Freshwater bass on the other hand are very good fighters and have quite an addicted group of anglers who target them in the mountain streams (including my daughter).

15 hours ago, suzook12 said:

3 Cracking photos that would undoubtedly have the snow flakes flurry to a mass melt!!

Its quite funny as even the snow flake flurry over here accept that introduced feral pests are a huge problem (even horses). On the sites my my daughter has posted the pig shot there have been over 2000 views and only one negative comment. The comment came from a woman in the UK, who most likely contributes more to the ecology downfall than the feral pigs over here!!!!

7 hours ago, JDP said:

Its quite funny as even the snow flake flurry over here accept that introduced feral pests are a huge problem (even horses). On the sites my my daughter has posted the pig shot there have been over 2000 views and only one negative comment. The comment came from a woman in the UK, who most likely contributes more to the ecology downfall than the feral pigs over here!!!!

Clearly you even get a better quality of snowflake over there!! Just waiting for ours to declare snow is racist.....