Tohatsu 50hp not getting revs!

MarkT

Help needed please...
I have a tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke. The problem is I'm loosing power and can't get over 3000rpm. It runs fine then all of a sudden it doesn't sound right and then I can't get over 3000rpm. It's been serviced recently spark plugs filters etc.
I'm starting to think it could possibly be the ht leads or fuel. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

@suzook12 should be able to help here. Guessing you've already tried the obvious e.g. getting a spark at the plugs and clean filters etc?

How old are the fuel lines? If they're getting on a bit they can sometimes break down inside and block the flow of fuel with higher revs.

As above if it happened directly after being serviced. Get the engineer to look at it

Could be a faulty fuel filter being too restrictive, could be a spark plug (got caught exactly like that when jetting the lads crosser recently, ran like it was rich, turned out to be the plug......

Run it at it's limit somewhere safe, then pull plugs for colour check.

All plugs black/oily- ignition fault

All plugs white- fuel starvation

One plug black/oily- faulty plug

One plug white- faulty/blocked injector

If it looks like an ignition fault, check correct voltages getting to ECU, may be as simple as corroded wire/terminal

I'm not entirely up on the fuel system of the tldi's but I guess air pressure can come into play here as well. Chances are it will be something more basic tho....

On 5/26/2021 at 3:52 PM, MarkT said:

Help needed please...
I have a tohatsu 50hp 2 stroke. The problem is I'm loosing power and can't get over 3000rpm. It runs fine then all of a sudden it doesn't sound right and then I can't get over 3000rpm. It's been serviced recently spark plugs filters etc.
I'm starting to think it could possibly be the ht leads or fuel. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Depending on the age, most were  3 cylinders with Carbs

Does it have Carbs or is it TLDI ? (Direct Injection)

Edited by GPSguru