6-12lb recommendations

I'm after a 6-12lb rod for Bream/Plaice

I bought a 6-12 Penn rampage 11 braid as it was a long (ish) rod, but it seems more at the heavy end of the scale and not a lot of difference to my 12-20 Suveran

I would go for the Kenzaki in a hearbeat, but it's 7"6 and I prefer a longer rod

I'm looking at the Trebucco Bay Reef rods, they're up to 8"10, but only rated to 5 oz leads

Has anyone used one of these rods and are they OK with heavier weights

Or, any other rods that are 8" 4 ish minimum

9 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

I bought a 6-12 Penn rampage 11 braid as it was a long (ish) rod, but it seems more at the heavy end of the scale and not a lot of difference to my 12-20 Suveran

I would go for the Kenzaki in a hearbeat, but it's 7"6 and I prefer a longer rod

I'm looking at the Trebucco Bay Reef rods, they're up to 8"10, but only rated to 5 oz leads

I have a Zziplex islander 6-12 custom made by island hooks. Lovely rod which sounds just like your requirements. Can hold 3/4lb of lead

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Prices don't show on their site for me, apparently something to do with the settings on my comp

But a google search brought up an old post of yours from when you bought it (2018) and it looks like they were 400 plus then, so out of my price range for something I'll only use a few times a year

4 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Prices don't show on their site for me, apparently something to do with the settings on my comp

But a google search brought up an old post of yours from when you bought it (2018) and it looks like they were 400 plus then, so out of my price range for something I'll only use a few times a year

Yeah I didn’t pay anywhere near that. I bought 3 Zziplex rods from a guy in Pompey for £300. 

17 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Result, he was asking 250 each wasn't he 👍

No I don’t recall that much. I did a deal with him on a rod that I had and he wanted. We both got a good deal in the end. I have many rods, but the Zziplex are my main tools. 
I have just had a snowbie deep blue charter 12lb rebuilt. It doesn’t get used much now I’ve got the zziplex. If that’s any use to you as an occasional?? It’s a nice rod. 3 piece 7’6”

@jonnyswamp you might consider a 9ft spinning rod for light tackle downtiding. I use a 9ft Rovex Plugger 30-60 gram (sadly discontinued but other brands/models are available). You won't be casting with it so you can use heavier leads than it states on the blank, but it'll still be sensitive enough for the delicate bites.

For those bream I had a couple of weeks ago I was drifting with that rod and 2oz pear weights - the fish put up a really good scrap on the lighter gear.

4 minutes ago, jonnyswamp said:

Looks nice, but thought you wanted something that can handle more than 5oz?  
120grm max is only 4.2oz. 

I've looked at at the yellow version of that rod in the past for bream. Looks tasty. I wouldn't worry about the 5oz weight... in my opinion that will be more than adequate, given that the target species are best targeted on the drift rather than regular downtiding.

4 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

Go for the Super Kenzaki 6 -15, it is 8ft long and has a cracking action ..... https://www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Daiwa-Super-Kenzaki---SKZB8015-BU-7795.html#SID=28

There is the 8ft 10 Greys GR75s, I have the 12-20 which is nearer the lighter end.

Casting weight only comes in to it if uptiding surely?

I believe there is a newer version of these out now. I certainly wouldn't hesitate in buying more greys

Looks like they have discontinued salt rods for the moment, there are still some out there tho....

Edited by suzook12