E10 Fuel Protection

E10 suddenly arrived at most of our local supermarket pumps about 2 weeks ago.

My engine is 2019, so there is no issue in using it. 

My only concern is phase separation of the ethanol water content not binding to the fuel molecules over time. I probably use enough fuel in the summer for it not to be an issue, however, fuel usage in the winter is less certain, so some protection is needed.

One solution would be to use premium fuel which is still E5. The other solution is to use a fuel additive which stops phase separation, and also stops corrosion of pumps and injectors.

I have decided to go with E10 and use mercury quickstor fuel additive. The septics have had E10 for at least the last 10 years, so I will trust the American additive. Another additive that has a good reputation is Tech 4.

I know that @Clinker has always used quickstor in his 225, with good results, but  I am not sure if Andrew also uses premium fuel.

So, what are you guys going to use to protect your fuel system ?

Edited by GPSguru

21 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

E10 suddenly arrived at most of our local supermarket pumps about 2 weeks ago.

My engine is 2019, so there is no issue in using it. 

My only concern is phase separation of the ethanol water content not binding to the fuel molecules over time. I probably use enough fuel in the summer for it not to be an issue, however, fuel usage in the winter is less certain, so some protection is needed.

One solution would be to use premium fuel which is still E5. The other. solution is to use a fuel additive which stops phase separation, and also stops corrosion of pumps and injectors.

I have decided to go with E10 and use mercury quickstor fuel additive. The septics have had E10 for at least the last 10 years, so I will trust the American additive. Another additive that has a good reputation is Tech 4.

I know that @Clinker has always used quickstor in his 225, with good results, but  I am not sure if Andrew also uses premium fuel.

So, what are you guys going to use to protect your fuel system ?

I bet most people will just carry on using whatever comes out of the pump unfortunately. 

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

I bet most people will just carry on using whatever comes out of the pump unfortunately. 

Yes, I guess they will, and boats that are not used over the winter will definitely have fuel issues next season !

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, I guess they will, and boats that are not used over the winter will definitely have fuel issues next season !

Do you have a fixed tank or are they removable? If they are portable at least you can just drain it down and put it in the car or lawnmower 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

Do you have a fixed tank or are they removable? If they are portable at least you can just drain it down and put it in the car or lawnmower 

No, I have a 90L under deck stainless tank. Most boats over 18 - 20ft will have built in tanks, but yes, portable tanks are not really an issue.

If you ran on premium fuel would it be worth getting your ecu remapped? I’ve heard of the boy racers doing this. 
I accidentally filled my lorry up with premium diesel last week, £180 worth and I got far less miles out of the tank. 

14 minutes ago, JonC said:

If you ran on premium fuel would it be worth getting your ecu remapped? I’ve heard of the boy racers doing this. 
I accidentally filled my lorry up with premium diesel last week, £180 worth and I got far less miles out of the tank. 

The Mercury 150 is already designed to adapt to anything from 91RON ( standard fuel) to 95RON (premium fuel). I have used both in the past and the average fuel consumption remains pretty much the same @ 0.87L/Nm

As having perhaps the biggest tanks (x2 350l) I’ll be adding additives to my tanks as I fill up in marinas. Summer I burn enough not to worry, but come September/October will start adding additives to keep it all ok. 

I’m not sure about winter yet, will prob still stick with normal fuel as they won’t suddenly transition over, it’ll be a time but it’s coming…. My engines are 2015 vintage so hopefully ok as being Yams they have a big following in the states. 

However, I suspect there will be plenty of gummed carbs in the spring!!!!!

48 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

As having perhaps the biggest tanks (x2 350l) I’ll be adding additives to my tanks as I fill up in marinas. Summer I burn enough not to worry, but come September/October will start adding additives to keep it all ok. 

I’m not sure about winter yet, will prob still stick with normal fuel as they won’t suddenly transition over, it’ll be a time but it’s coming…. My engines are 2015 vintage so hopefully ok as being Yams they have a big following in the states. 

You could always get a pair of Diesel engines fitted on the back… 

57 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

All petrol stations will be changing over to E10 by the end of Sept. you could fill with premium in the winter (staying E5) but the cost overhead on 700L is significant 😵💫

The quickstor additive does 227L per bottle and is about £12  - £14, so quite a cost effective solution.

7 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

All petrol stations will be changing over to E10 by the end of Sept. you could fill with premium in the winter (staying E5) but the cost overhead on 700L is significant 😵💫

The quickstor additive does 227L per bottle and is about £12  - £14, so quite a cost effective solution.

Not a lot in it then, maybe £15 per tank if super is 10p more per litre. 
Either way it’s not that big a deal in the scheme of things when running a boat like Luke owns 

I don’t empty my tanks, only top up so there’s always some petrol left over but with the change I’m not about to fill up with Jerry cans. Much easier to squirt a bottle in and leave it 🙂 

12 minutes ago, JonC said:

Either way it’s not that big a deal in the scheme of things when running a boat like Luke owns 

Yes, but with an additive you are protecting the whole fuel system and injectors against the unwanted effects of ethanol.

29 minutes ago, JonC said:

How the feck do you stay in business with maths like that 🙄

350L x 10p is £35 per tank, where as an additive comes out at 5.7p per L of fuel.

4 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

How the feck do you stay in business with maths like that 🙄

350L x 10p is £35 per tank, where as an additive comes out at 5.7p per L of fuel.

He would need a bottle and a half per tank, so about £20? So  an extra £15 per tank for super rather than the additive is negligible. 

6 minutes ago, JonC said:

He would need a bottle and a half per tank, so about £20? So  an extra £15 per tank for super rather than the additive is negligible. 

No, ffs, stop being a plank 🙄

it is £35 per tank for fuel that is 10p/L more expensive (350 x 10p  =  3,500p = £35

The additive price is £12.99 / 227, which is 5.7p/L

you are certainly very special Jon 🙄🤣

6 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

No, ffs, stop being a plank 🙄

it is £35 per tank for fuel that is 10p/L more expensive (350 x 10p  =  3,500p = £35

The additive price is £12.99 / 227, which is 5.7p/L

you are certainly very special Jon 🙄🤣

His tanks hold 350 litres, a bottle of additives does 227 litres so he needs a bottle and a half per tank. If a bottle costs £12-14 then it will cost £17-21 for a bottle and a half. So he’s going to save £18-14 if super costs 10p more per litre. 
Also you need to put the right amount of additive in so for the fucking about to save a few quid per tank  it’s easier to buy super . 

24 minutes ago, JonC said:

His tanks hold 350 litres, a bottle of additives does 227 litres so he needs a bottle and a half per tank. If a bottle costs £12-14 then it will cost £17-21 for a bottle and a half. So he’s going to save £18-14 if super costs 10p more per litre. 
Also you need to put the right amount of additive in so for the fucking about to save a few quid per tank  it’s easier to buy super . 

To treat 350L with additive will cost £19.95

To fill with fuel costing 10p/L more than regular fuel will cost £35.

So, plank, Luke saves £15 and also fully protects his whole fuel system.

🖕

Edited by GPSguru

It’s the getting super….. 

I can call up the Marina fuel up on a pontoon a few yards away for same fuel that’s 1p/l cheaper than Tesco’s…. 

Then bung in some magic juice 🙂 

11 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

It’s the getting super….. 

I can call up the Marina fuel up on a pontoon a few yards away for same fuel that’s 1p/l cheaper than Tesco’s…. 

Then bung in some magic juice 🙂 

I will only probably use it from late Autumn through to early spring, I guess you will do the same ?

17 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

To treat 350L with additive will cost £19.97,

To fill with fuel costing 10p/L more than regular fuel will cost £35.

So, plank, Luke saves £15 and also fully protects his whole fuel system.

🤞✌️

Which is what I said at the top you dumb fuck and you questioned my maths, a man of Luke’s means don’t care about £15 on a £450-500 tank of fuel, he spends that on leaks daily. 

10 minutes ago, JonC said:

Which is what I said at the top you dumb fuck and you questioned my maths, a man of Luke’s means don’t care about £15 on a £450-500 tank of fuel, he spends that on leaks daily. 

Listen plank, your English is as bad as your maths .............. they are feck'in LEEKS (Allium ampeloprasum)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by GPSguru

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Listen plank, your English is as bad as your maths .............. they are feck'in LEEKS (Allium ampeloprasum)

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

My maths came up with a figure that took you 6 posts to arrive at. 
Planks was a derogatory name for the Royal engineers, after a WW1 battle where The RA used their dead bodies to drag their howitzers over to avoid bogging down in the mud. 

1 minute ago, JonC said:

My maths came up with a figure that took you 6 posts to arrive at. 
Planks was a derogatory name for the Royal engineers, after a WW1 battle where The RA used their dead bodies to drag their howitzers over to avoid bogging down in the mud. 

But you still cant spell and your maths were inaccurate to a high degree, I have fired people for less.

Plank in my book comes from 'as thick as a plank, just like 'a piece of bread short of a sandwich', or 'as thick as a donkey dongler' , unfortunately, you fit in all categories 🤣🤣🤣🖕

3 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

But you still cant spell and your maths were inaccurate to a high degree, I have fired people for less.

Plank in my book comes from 'as thick as a plank, just like 'a piece of bread short of a sandwich', or 'as thick as a donkey dongler' , unfortunately, you fit in all categories 🤣🤣🤣🖕

Well your book is incomplete, you probably haven’t even coloured half of it in yet. 

‘Two steps (or two planks) too far is a connection to WW1 artillery. To stop the guns sinking into the mud of the Western Front, planks were wedged beneath their wheels. Military legend claims that in the absence of boards, bodies were used. ‘