Varne bank Oct 10th

Hooked1980

Those are fat mackerel! Good work. And a turbot too - great eating 👍

Must get busy on the Varne, what with all the shipping passing by?

Yep, it's on to the cod next, which for me means several months of whiting or blanking. 😭

love turbot - i've not had much chance to get out on the turbot banks - and they still elude me, but I am lucky enough to have a fishing mate who doesn't eat fish........

he gave me is 8Lb turbot earlier in the year and it was delicious!

14 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Those are fat mackerel! Good work. And a turbot too - great eating 👍

Must get busy on the Varne, what with all the shipping passing by?

Yep, it's on to the cod next, which for me means several months of whiting or blanking. 😭

Yes it gets very busy especially with our friends the migrants 🙈🤬

It is a bit strange to have very large ships passing either side of you all day 

28 minutes ago, Hooked1980 said:

Yes it gets very busy especially with our friends the migrants 🙈🤬

It is a bit strange to have very large ships passing either side of you all day 

I wondered whether you might have seen the little rubber boats. 😤

But how do you get noticed (aka avoided) by the big ones? Do you run AIS, or a great big radar reflector etc?

51 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

i'd assume the big ships don't want to hit the Varne Bank - so just by being there you are safe! 🤣

not that i'd feel safe lol! 

Agreed, I was more thinking about when travelling to and from the bank.

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Agreed, I was more thinking about when travelling to and from the bank.

When you travel you cross the shipping lane at 90 degrees and always cross behind any ships

The  varne bank is in the middle of the separation zone so Dover side the head to dungeness and beyond and the french side they travel in opposite direction as a rule

The bank has a big red ship moored at the Dover end called the varne light vessel and the edges and other end on sandbank is marked with large yellow marker bouys(similar to attached)

ABA37A08-648F-4BE5-9FDD-F1508FCBB734.jpeg

On 10/12/2021 at 8:21 PM, Hooked1980 said:

When you travel you cross the shipping lane at 90 degrees and always cross behind any ships

The  varne bank is in the middle of the separation zone so Dover side the head to dungeness and beyond and the french side they travel in opposite direction as a rule

The bank has a big red ship moored at the Dover end called the varne light vessel and the edges and other end on sandbank is marked with large yellow marker bouys(similar to attached)

ABA37A08-648F-4BE5-9FDD-F1508FCBB734.jpeg

And that’s what it’s important to understand the meaning of cardinal buoys 🙂 

On 10/14/2021 at 9:36 PM, JonC said:

How wonderful that whoever edited the picture cut the top off so you don’t know if it’s a north or west. 

@JonC it wouldn’t help you as this marker is situated on a completely different sandbank further along coast  off dungeness (aka the bullock bank)😉hence why post said similar to