Gilkicker hole take 2..

Saintly Fish

@Andy135 and I met at 07.00 this morning for another crack at mastering cod catching from the Gilkicker hole in the Solent. 
Anchor was dropped at 8am, rods baited and down the offerings went. 
within 2-3 minutes I had a cracking pull down bite that snagged a fish. This was not the normal strap conger bite that I though it would be, this beast held its station low in the water. 
A heavy nod here and there then nothing just weight. Cod was the thought and I'm convinced by the fight that that's what it was, unfortunately though it bit me off before I could get it to the boat. Around 2m from the top the weight on the line vanished, up came half a cuttle fish with the top pennel hook still in it, but the bottom hook and head section of the bait was gone. ☹️
And that was that, for the rest of the time we were out not even an annoying mini bream rattle was seen. 
dejected we went back in at 13.30!

It was a lovely day and the sun danced well through Andy's ginger locks... 

A37F2F33-988C-4442-8FAA-6F5BB04CAFD9.jpeg.703c3f31550ddf888a25cf986b2d3962.jpeg

Who the heck is that ugly fucker in the photo? You got me properly squinting in the sun there 🤣

It was not an auspicious day today. No real tide so no fish I guess. Shame on the skipper - must try harder.

#megablank

5 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Who the heck is that ugly fucker in the photo? You got me properly squinting in the sun there 🤣

It was not an auspicious day today. No real tide so no fish I guess. Shame on the skipper - must try harder.

#megablank

is it the beer , 2 cans and thats it

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

@Andy135 and I met at 07.00 this morning for another crack at mastering cod catching from the Gilkicker hole in the Solent. 
Anchor was dropped at 8am, rods baited and down the offerings went. 
within 2-3 minutes I had a cracking pull down bite that snagged a fish. This was not the normal strap conger bite that I though it would be, this beast held its station low in the water. 
A heavy nod here and there then nothing just weight. Cod was the thought and I'm convinced by the fight that that's what it was, unfortunately though it bit me off before I could get it to the boat. Around 2m from the top the weight on the line vanished, up came half a cuttle fish with the top pennel hook still in it, but the bottom hook and head section of the bait was gone. ☹️
And that was that, for the rest of the time we were out not even an annoying mini bream rattle was seen. 
dejected we went back in at 13.30!

It was a lovely day and the sun danced well through Andy's ginger locks... 

A37F2F33-988C-4442-8FAA-6F5BB04CAFD9.jpeg.703c3f31550ddf888a25cf986b2d3962.jpeg

I thought this section was for ‘CATCH’ reports 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’ll get my coat 🙄

12 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I did catch....... just didn't land.. ☹️

If it was just a weight with no kicking, then I would guess a Cuttle, or a decent squid, once they have taken a bait to the beak the cut off is always going to happen.

When you fish for them with squid jigs, the jig is designed to catch the tentacles before they bite with the beak.

This time of the year the Cuttle are coming inshore to spawn, the squid follow a little later.

We get hordes of them along our coast, and this is the time of year for the Brixham trawlers 'black gold' harvest.

This is what you are up against, there is only one winner .........

spacer.png

Edited by GPSguru

@GPSguru I never said no fight, it just wasn't a frantic fight like a snake. 
There was a good pull down, then a couple of hard head shakes. Then weight. Ive caught cod before and this was how they felt. TBH if it was a cuttle, I'd have been just as chuffed. 

21 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

@GPSguru I never said no fight, it just wasn't a frantic fight like a snake. 
There was a good pull down, then a couple of hard head shakes. Then weight. Ive caught cod before and this was how they felt. TBH if it was a cuttle, I'd have been just as chuffed. 

I have never been bitten off from a cod, but we mainly catch the larger fish on lures off the wrecks.

Had plenty of Bite off's from cuttle and squid though. A cuttle bite is a long slowish pull down, and then you get a couple of tentative kicks once it knows it is hooked. The kicks are when it applies the water jets to escape.

Edited by GPSguru