One year on...

I had Jersey Girl's outboard serviced yesterday. The last time I had her serviced was just before I put her in the water for the first time under my ownership. Turns out I've done just over 40 hours on the water in the last 12 months. This is almost double the amount of water time I had per year with Apache. 😁👍

Part of this will be because Jersey Girl is bigger and can take rougher conditions more comfortably meaning more fishable weather windows, but on reflection I believe the fact that I don't need to beach launch the boat and recover it manually each time like I did with Apache has significantly contributed to me using it more. I can now nip down to the boat (nipping down is all relative, right?) and grab a couple of hours on the water like I did today.

I remember I was in two minds as to whether to go bigger and swallow the costs of drystack compared with the (relatively small) cost of keeping Apache at the ECA, and I think I remember asking on here, or maybe the previous Outlaws forum, whether bigger boats equals more water time - the facts would suggest they do, and I have absolutely no regrets in deciding to upgrade. Bigger is definitely better! 😆

8 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I had Jersey Girl's outboard serviced yesterday. The last time I had her serviced was just before I put her in the water for the first time under my ownership. Turns out I've done just over 40 hours on the water in the last 12 months. This is almost double the amount of water time I had per year with Apache. 😁👍

Part of this will be because Jersey Girl is bigger and can take rougher conditions more comfortably meaning more fishable weather windows, but on reflection I believe the fact that I don't need to beach launch the boat and recover it manually each time like I did with Apache has significantly contributed to me using it more. I can now nip down to the boat (nipping down is all relative, right?) and grab a couple of hours on the water like I did today.

I remember I was in two minds as to whether to go bigger and swallow the costs of drystack compared with the (relatively small) cost of keeping Apache at the ECA, and I think I remember asking on here, or maybe the previous Outlaws forum, whether bigger boats equals more water time - the facts would suggest they do, and I have absolutely no regrets in deciding to upgrade. Bigger is definitely better! 😆

How many litres per hour have you averaged over the year? 

Hard to say but my average speed is about 20-22kts, consuming between 9-10gph

So 40 hours at 10 gallons per hour is 400 gallons. Multiply by 4.5 litres per gallon = 1800 litres.

But this doesn't consider all the hours I've spend drifting with the engine at idle, or the time passing in and out of the harbour at 10kts or in the marina at 4kts, so I'd imagine the actual consumption will be a good bit less. For example, I know I haven't spent north of 3 grand in fuel, which is what 1800 litres would cost, so I know I can't have burned anywhere near that amount.  Based on my visits to the fuel jetty I reckon I've spent less than a grand on fuel in 12 months.

7 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Hard to say but my average speed is about 20-22kts, consuming between 9-10gph

So 40 hours at 10 gallons per hour is 400 gallons. Multiply by 4.5 litres per gallon = 1800 litres.

But this doesn't consider all the hours I've spend drifting with the engine at idle, or the time passing in and out of the harbour at 10kts or in the marina at 4kts, so I'd imagine the actual consumption will be a good bit less. For example, I know I haven't spent north of 3 grand in fuel, which is what 1800 litres would cost, so I know I can't have burned anywhere near that amount.  Based on my visits to the fuel jetty I reckon I've spent less than a grand on fuel in 12 months.

You need to get out more then 🤣🤣🤣