Cut and weld help required.

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

This is my outboard bracket, it's a bit long. I could do with about 2-3 inches cut off the shaft. 
@suzook12, is it possible to cut the end plate off, then cut down the shaft and then re weld the plate back on?? 
4008FD3C-4518-4896-BA3E-5B6DA5862AA9.jpeg.1502aeb956ffbf41040440b8915ca470.jpeg

Yep, perfectly possible mate

23 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

would be best to cut it in the midel cut off what you don't wont and put an insert in the tube for strength i would have thought but then again what do i know

That's kinda the long way round it Pete, making extra work for yourself

That central section is just probably just MS. Remove the bolted on end sections and then just cut off one end plate, shorten the centre by however much you wish and then re-weld, prime, repaint and refit the ends. A very simple job which you could easily find a local welder/fabricator to do very cheaply. Not worth posting anywhere. As said in a previous post - no need to over complicate things. Simples. Geoff.☺️

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

That central section is just probably just MS. Remove the bolted on end sections and then just cut off one end plate, shorten the centre by however much you wish and then re-weld, prime, repaint and refit the ends. A very simple job which you could easily find a local welder/fabricator to do very cheaply. Not worth posting anywhere. As said in a previous post - no need to over complicate things. Simples. Geoff.☺️

Yes, well I'd rather keep it in house thanks!