Coppercoat Antifoul

Hi Folks

Couple of friends have a boat at Littlehampton, and this year it needs to be anti-fouled. They'ed like a firm to do it with the above as it can last up to 10 years. 

So the question is have any of you guys used the product, and can anyone recommended a company in the West Sussex area to carry it out, as there of a mature age and not as agile as we was.

Thanks 

Bob.

Hi @Bob Copeland

You could try giving these guys a call, they are based in Littlehampton. 

https://boatshopgroup.co.uk/boat-service/servicing-and-repairs/

I purchased a Parker boat from them a few years ago and they were very good to deal with. They do do a range of boat yard services, not sure if they do copper coat though. 
I use zinc and copper oxide mixed into my antifoul paint. And it works a treat to keep barnacles and coral worm off the hull. It does slime up a little, but even copper coat does that. 

My boat is copper coated. No fouling issues, lasts years. 

I may need another coat next year but it’s been on there for 6-7 years now… advantage is that there is no scraping needed, just whack another coat on top of you’ve already got copper coat. 

some say it’s useless but I’ve had no issues in fresh water in Cardiff or salt in Milford

5 hours ago, Odyssey said:

My boat is copper coated. No fouling issues, lasts years. 

I may need another coat next year but it’s been on there for 6-7 years now… advantage is that there is no scraping needed, just whack another coat on top of you’ve already got copper coat. 

some say it’s useless but I’ve had no issues in fresh water in Cardiff or salt in Milford

All the boats here with copper coat always come out pretty clean. Those with traditional antifoul usually come out with quite a lot of growth including tons of mussels and a good coating of barnacles.

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

All the boats here with copper coat always come out pretty clean. Those with traditional antifoul usually come out with quite a lot of growth including tons of mussels and a good coating of barnacles.

My boat is in a tidal basin type marina that doesn’t seem to have much in the way of molluscs, maybe the water quality though there be plenty of inverts in there so can’t be all bad. We just get that crappy slime growth, which comes off ok with a scrub. For my model I don’t think copper coat would be much better in economic terms as it still requires the boat to be lifted and roughed up for the agent to work. 
My type of boat is well known for suffering performance loss due to the slime, I can get about 24 knots when clean but after a month or so down to 21. 

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

My boat is in a tidal basin type marina that doesn’t seem to have much in the way of molluscs, maybe the water quality though there be plenty of inverts in there so can’t be all bad. We just get that crappy slime growth, which comes off ok with a scrub. For my model I don’t think copper coat would be much better in economic terms as it still requires the boat to be lifted and roughed up for the agent to work. 
My type of boat is well known for suffering performance loss due to the slime, I can get about 24 knots when clean but after a month or so down to 21. 

Yes, it is strange that everywhere is very different. Here in the estuary, the side of the boat the gets most sun, has very significantly mote growth. The water in the estuary here is pretty good, as there are licensed oyster farms, and the wild mussels are fine to eat.

16 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Yes, it is strange that everywhere is very different. Here in the estuary, the side of the boat the gets most sun, has very significantly mote growth. The water in the estuary here is pretty good, as there are licensed oyster farms, and the wild mussels are fine to eat.

We have a lot of oyster farming as well as mussel beds. The Thames is said to be the cleanest metropolitan river in the world but I don’t know who does the counting. 
I think the marina basin will just have a higher pollution level because all the boat engine emissions and people pumping bilge water in. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Copeland said:

GPSguru did you do the copper coat your self or have a company do it, as I've mentioned they would like to get someone to do it. I've heard that some say it last longer in certain areas then others.

Cheers 

Bob.

Bob, if you type the @ symbol followed by the username it will tag the user and they will get an alert that you've tagged them. Increases the chances of them seeing and replying to your question. @Bob Copeland@GPSguru

2 hours ago, Bob Copeland said:

GPSguru did you do the copper coat your self or have a company do it, as I've mentioned they would like to get someone to do it. I've heard that some say it last longer in certain areas then others.

Cheers 

Bob.

It seems to not make a huge difference, some boats were done when built, some were done professionally and some were done by the owners.

I guess if it is done properly and to the spec of the manufacturer, then it should be Ok.

Brother in law's boat was done before he bought it, the coating is now 8 years old and still performs really well.

My boat is a 5.85m RIB, so it sits in my driveway on the trailer with a highly polished bum 👍