Garmin nmea settings ? One for you clever people

I’m trying to get a modern nmea 2000 gps map 9X3 to talk to an older raymarine 150G AST. Auto pilot system. I  have used the blue and gray cables NMEA 0183 cables out9C28E703-4966-4A59-BEC0-A8A82EF53AE6.thumb.jpeg.4fc83bcd75368c8bf080f729d145e93e.jpeg connected to the nmea input in the course computer. 
What settings do I need my nmea0183 setup on

9FB2B8D3-71E2-4AE9-9460-F1EC31140CC6.jpeg

4233274C-F5CC-49FE-AAEA-559BF0309DFC.jpeg

It's not clear which photo relates to which item of hardware. Are all the pics of your GPSMap set-up?

Really, you'd need to know the colours of the Tx and Rx wires for each unit, and simply connect them (Tx of one to Rx of the other, and vice-versa). Then you should be able to configure your GPSMap to transmit and recieve whichever sentences are needed for proper operation. Presume the auto-pilot would need to know course heading, speed and position, but it may need more sentences that this - the auto-pilot manual should confirm what data it needs.

Edited to add: Does your GPSMap support NMEA0183? You mentioned NMEA2000 but this shouldn't come into it unless the GPSMap is only capable of N2K communication, in which case you may need a gateway converter like this: https://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000-gateway-ngw-1/?gclid=CjwKCAjwp7eUBhBeEiwAZbHwkSPqHB66E8hVsPSMpm8xyKORqTNFUHMrWkm2yy_HVpyGBeitG_ZGdBoCSPoQAvD_BwE

11 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

It's not clear which photo relates to which item of hardware. Are all the pics of your GPSMap set-up?

Really, you'd need to know the colours of the Tx and Rx wires for each unit, and simply connect them (Tx of one to Rx of the other, and vice-versa). Then you should be able to configure your GPSMap to transmit and recieve whichever sentences are needed for proper operation. Presume the auto-pilot would need to know course heading, speed and position, but it may need more sentences that this - the auto-pilot manual should confirm what data it needs.

Edited to add: Does your GPSMap support NMEA0183? You mentioned NMEA2000 but this shouldn't come into it unless the GPSMap is only capable of N2K communication, in which case you may need a gateway converter like this: https://actisense.com/products/nmea-2000-gateway-ngw-1/?gclid=CjwKCAjwp7eUBhBeEiwAZbHwkSPqHB66E8hVsPSMpm8xyKORqTNFUHMrWkm2yy_HVpyGBeitG_ZGdBoCSPoQAvD_BwE

Thanks Andy. I’m sitting looking at it, now I’m not sure if I need to use both the nmea0183 ports, one to send data and one to receive. I’ve been trying to get the heading that is displayed on the course computer head to agree with the plotter. 
Would it work that one port would transmit data and one would receive data? I’m lost now 

What you'll need to find is the colours of the NMEA0183 Transmit (Tx/output) and Recieve (Rx/input) wires coming out of the auto-pilot, and connect them to the Rx/Tx wires in the GPSMap, assuming the GPSMap is 0183-capable.

Only then can you open the settings menu and configure what NMEA sentences you want to flow between the two units.

13 minutes ago, JonC said:

I’m sitting looking at it, now I’m not sure if I need to use both the nmea0183 ports, one to send data and one to receive. I’ve been trying to get the heading that is displayed on the course computer head to agree with the plotter. 
Would it work that one port would transmit data and one would receive data? I’m lost now 

I don't think you need to use two ports. Each port should have both Tx and Rx capabilities. You'd only use the second port to connect a second unit to the auto-pilot.

There are no wires coming out of the course computer, it has ports that have spring clips like audio speakers. 

looking at this diagram it suggests all wires are used? 

9C5664BF-38CF-40B6-841A-92E93CAC28D8.jpeg

Jon, this is all solveable but please be precise. What device does that pic relate to? You haven't said yet which device/s the other pics relate to. This is important to know, as it will help us see which colour wire should be connected to which other wire between the units.

20 minutes ago, JonC said:

There are no wires coming out of the course computer, it has ports that have spring clips like audio speakers. 

looking at this diagram it suggests all wires are used? 

9C5664BF-38CF-40B6-841A-92E93CAC28D8.jpeg

Not necessarily all wires will be used. It depends on whether this unit (guessing the GPSMap but please confirm) will either send or receive data, or will it do both. In the instructions it says if only receiving, use wires 1, 2, 3 and 4. If only sending, use 1, 2, 5 and 6. If doing both, all wires will be used.

So again, we need to know what data the autopilot needs to know from the GPSMap, and whether the GPSMap will need any data from the autopilot. My guess is that the data will be sent from the GPSMap to the autopilot and no data will be sent the other way, but this should be confirmed in the user manual for the autopilot. If we're right, and the GPSMap is only needed to send data, then we'll be using wires 1, 2, 5 and 6 (Red, Black, Violet and Blue). 

4 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Jon, this is all solveable but please be precise. What device does that pic relate to? You haven't said yet which device/s the other pics relate to. This is important to know, as it will help us see which colour wire should be connected to which other wire between the units.

The wiring diagram above is for the NMEA 0183 connections for the gps map 9X3.

The other picture of what looks like a consumer board is the the old raymarine  AST 150 course computer that the new Garmin should plug straight into 

My main objectives are to get the gps map to send course data to the autopilot system and get the heading from the flux gate compass to display on the plotter. 

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

My main objectives are to get the gps map to send course data to the autopilot system and get the heading from the flux gate compass to display on the plotter. 

Are you doing this just because? Or are you planning on setting a course to follow whilst the pot noodle stews? 

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Are you doing this just because? Or are you planning on setting a course to follow whilst the pot noodle stews? 

My auto pilot is just used as a stand alone point and stay unit. I don't need to set courses for it to follow. Just curious as to your objective! 

In the opening paragraph of the wiring diagram it does say ‘two way connections’   The other descriptions are to with send or receive. Also the course computer has 4 sockets for each nmea0183 port so maybe that’s my answer? 
Where’s Neil? He’d have this sorted out in moments 

11 minutes ago, JonC said:

The wiring diagram above is for the NMEA 0183 connections for the gps map 9X3.

The other picture of what looks like a consumer board is the the old raymarine  AST 150 course computer that the new Garmin should plug straight into 

What about the picture at the top of this thread? Is that also for the GPSMap?

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

My auto pilot is just used as a stand alone point and stay unit. I don't need to set courses for it to follow. Just curious as to your objective! 

I knew you’d come galloping to my rescue. 
I would like to be able to set a course, press ‘track’ and go to sleep or maybe cook a pot noodle. 

Just now, JonC said:

Yeah that’s gps map

Ok, so in your first post you said you've used the blue and grey wires, but these are both for transmitting data. You'd need to use the Brown wire instead of the grey wire to give you the ability to send (Tx) and receive (Rx) data. The Blue Tx wire should be connected to an Rx wire on the Auto-pilot in order for the auto-pilot to receive the data being sent from the GPSMap.

Can you take a pic of the back of the auto-pilot? It's hard to visualise what you have to work with from the diagram alone.

I just found what I think is your autopilot manual online, and I think this page tells us what we need to know as it indicates which pins are used for Autopilot Rx and Tx, meaning we can now connect the corresponding Tx and Rx wires from the GPSMap to the correct terminals.

GPSMap blue wire to the first NMEA1 +ve terminal. GPSMap brown wire to the second NMEA1 +ve terminal.

If that doesn't work, we may need to add the Gray and Violet negative wires: Gray to the first NMEA1 -ve terminal, Violet to the second NMEA1 -ve terminal.

jsxdSy1.jpg

And assuming the above works, you'll then want to set up your GPSMap to send (probably by using the menu called "output sentences") the below:

O5BH364.jpg

Mm1MYXb.jpg

and then set the GPSMap to receive (may be in a menu called "input sentences") the HDM data from the autopilot. You'll then probably need to configure the GPSMap to display it by following whatever procedure Garmin uses to show imported data on screen.

32 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

And assuming the above works, you'll then want to set up your GPSMap to send (probably by using the menu called "output sentences") the below:

O5BH364.jpg

Mm1MYXb.jpg

and then set the GPSMap to receive (may be in a menu called "input sentences") the HDM data from the autopilot. You'll then probably need to configure the GPSMap to display it by following whatever procedure Garmin uses to show imported data on screen.

Damn, you beat me to it 🙄

3 hours ago, JonC said:

I’m trying to get a modern nmea 2000 gps map 9X3 to talk to an older raymarine 150G AST. Auto pilot system. I  have used the blue and gray cables NMEA 0183 cables out9C28E703-4966-4A59-BEC0-A8A82EF53AE6.thumb.jpeg.4fc83bcd75368c8bf080f729d145e93e.jpeg connected to the nmea input in the course computer. 
What settings do I need my nmea0183 setup on

9FB2B8D3-71E2-4AE9-9460-F1EC31140CC6.jpeg

4233274C-F5CC-49FE-AAEA-559BF0309DFC.jpeg

I will take a look at this later, looking after grand children right now. 🙄

3 hours ago, JonC said:

That sentence says you want to send and receive, so all wires used

• Andy135 changed the title to Garmin nmea settings ? One for you clever people
  • Andy135 featured this topic