Groundbaiting

Do you do it? If so, how? What bait do you use, and how do you get it down to where the fish are?

I use a 2 foot length of soil pipe, perforated with 16mm holes. I made a stainless, drilled base for it, and I seal the top with a cut down pipe bung. Will post up a pic bit later. 2lb weight on the end and lower it to the sea floor on a length of cauline. However I'm thinking of swapping the cauline for 60lb braid on a spare rod & reel for this season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, crisdafish said:

Slightly off topic but I like to fish close to teams of crab/lobster pots just after they have been re-baited and shot in the water, sort of acts as groundbait. 

This can have quite a dramatic effect on what you catch in the vicinity.

How do you know when they’ve just been re baited ?

As well as the fitted burley pots, I have several other methods to drop burley deep. Some you can buy from tackle stores that can be attached to hand lines or spare rods, which drop to the bottom and open on impact. 

My most commonly used is my cannon downriver with a homemade wire baskets and concrete in the base. This is pretty big and can hold large fish frames. 

Burlying works very well, its something we also do when spearfishing. The downside is it can daw small fish called leather jackets that have parrot like beaks which they snip through line as if it was nothing. The other problem is the amount of sharks depending on where you use it.  The sharks will often grab the whole wire cages I make and take off with them!!! Funny enough burley and sharks when spearing isn't an issue at all normally, as the sharks focus is on a scent and we are just seen as another predator hunting in that scent. An injured fish on a spear is a whole different matter though.

Making burley for me can either be simply putting whole fish frames in the wire basket or smashing old bait and frames up small. I will often smash up old frames in a big tough tub then freeze it into plastic drain tubes about 50cm long. I take the tubes out of the freezer and let them warm for a short time so that the burley slides out like giant ice pops. These are then kept cool in my ice box until I want to put one in my burley cage. Being frozen they have a slower release.

Another technique commonly used offshore on tuna species is cubing. This is where we buy large quantities of pilchards (up around 15kg of them) and simply cut them into pieces about 1in in length. As soon as a piece drops out of sight once its been tossed overboard another is then tossed, this goes on all day as the boat drifts in water from 1500m-4000m. These trails can reach several km long and when tuna find the trail they race up it right to the back of the boat where you can hand feed them. From then on small handfuls are scattered around the boat to keep the fish in a feeding frenzy. Using this method is normally a community effort where boats trying over a large area will share when the tuna have reached them so other vessels can move over, which helps keep the fish up at the surface. This sharing the catch doesn't apply to other kinds of fishing normally.

Interesting post Jon 👍.

You mention smashing up old frames, and I've done the same here in the UK, but I'm wondering why no-one purees the frames/bait fish in a blender. Not only is smashing bait up hard work but it takes an age to do properly. If the aim is to release all the oils and fine particles into a scent trail then I'm thinking of investing in a cheap food processor/blender and blitzing my bait fish then freezing them into blocks with bran.

Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work?

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Interesting post Jon 👍.

You mention smashing up old frames, and I've done the same here in the UK, but I'm wondering why no-one purees the frames/bait fish in a blender. Not only is smashing bait up hard work but it takes an age to do properly. If the aim is to release all the oils and fine particles into a scent trail then I'm thinking of investing in a cheap food processor/blender and blitzing my bait fish then freezing them into blocks with bran.

Can anyone tell me why this wouldn't work?

Cheap blenders work great on soft baits like pilchards and mackerel fillets but don't over blend as it will easily turn to puree. We can get 4lt tubs of pure tuna oil which can be added to any burley blend.

Back when I worked on charter boats out of Yarmouth IOW, we regularly attached burley bags to the anchor and always seemed to do well in regards to catch.

3 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

What's so bad about puree though Jon? I'd have thought it would be desirable to have, in effect, liquid bait fish.

Personally I like feeding them chunks so they get fired into eating rather than just following a scent trail. Something I see with timed feeders like bream, once they get a few chunks they don't seem to hold back in feeding. Funnily enough some sharks will behave the same in trails with just tuna oil, mako and hammerheads can be quite timed in a trail that has small more puree type burley and actually leave without trying a single baited hook but once they start on a few chunks of mackerel they become less and less cautious. In particular some of the hammerheads will only take mono rigs as they are so cautious.

Im not saying puree won't work, simply what Ive seen from both above and bellow the water on some species here.

On 10/13/2020 at 6:34 PM, Andy135 said:

Do you do it? If so, how? What bait do you use, and how do you get it down to where the fish are?

I use a 2 foot length of soil pipe, perforated with 16mm holes. I made a stainless, drilled base for it, and I seal the top with a cut down pipe bung. Will post up a pic bit later. 2lb weight on the end and lower it to the sea floor on a length of cauline. However I'm thinking of swapping the cauline for 60lb braid on a spare rod & reel for this season.

I put an onion sack of frozen chum down on the anchor chain when fishing for Tope at anchor.

I also have 16" long by 6" diameter galvanised mesh tubes with a 7lb weight on the bottom that I use when targeting Bream.

I put sausage shaped frozen chum, mainly consisting of minced Squid and Bran, in them.

Works a treat.

Obviously I also use a lot of chum when sharking, 10kg frozen blocks of it suspended over the side in an onion sack inside a 25 litre bucket, to stop the sharks ripping the sacks off.

Plus I throw in cut up fish and Squid during a shark session.

Edited by headlight

• 1 month later...

Yep, trout food is oily. I use it in chum. 

I find it better to let it soak in oil for an hour or two and Chuck into my chum slick in handfuls. 

Can’t beat fish though.... all this stuff is just impersonating the real thing 

just to add my two pennyworth, for shallow water I use a food processor to mince old fish and baits into a sludge(add a little water or fish oil if it is too thick) the put into ziplock bags, about 6''x4'' I think, whilst filling the bags add a few stones to ensure it sinks then freeze. I find it a good way to have a constant stream of ground bait , just cut the bag of the frozen lump and chuck a little upstream of the boat and it should land right under the back of the boat right where the baits are. 

1 minute ago, ever optimistic said:

just to add my two pennyworth, for shallow water I use a food processor to mince old fish and baits into a sludge(add a little water or fish oil if it is too thick) the put into ziplock bags, about 6''x4'' I think, whilst filling the bags add a few stones to ensure it sinks then freeze. I find it a good way to have a constant stream of ground bait , just cut the bag of the frozen lump and chuck a little upstream of the boat and it should land right under the back of the boat right where the baits are. 

Good suggestion. I'll give the bag and stone trick a try. I'm currently using a milk bottle with frozen chum in it, on a weighted line, but this catches the tide and often ends up down tide of our hookbaits.

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’ve often thought about the fish food ice cube trick. Never got round to it though as I don’t have the freezer capacity or the workshop space to try it. But with the extension plans the Mrs has that may well change. 

Haven't heard that one. Do tell.

37 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Haven't heard that one. Do tell.

The ice cube trick? I’m referring to what @ever optimistic was describing. Ice cubes or blocks if you prefer weighted and chucked into the water near the fishing area. A slowish way of ground baiting and scent laying. 
Im not convinced it will be too successful due to the tide carrying the scent away too quick, but worth a go.