Colvic refit

sean31264

Hi everyone new to this site is there any people out there who have knowledge to help me with a engine transmission issue not sure what to do have chance to buy a hurth hbw 20 gearbox my engine is a Perkins prima 2.0 diesel the type with the alloy rocker cover it’s currently onto a penta 270 outdrive thinking of going back to shaft and propeller thanks in advance for any advise 

sean

Hi Sean,

I don't have any experience of the gearbox you mention, but generally shafts & props are considered more reliable/less to go wrong/less expensive to maintain than outdrives, so for what it's worth you're probably heading in the right direction.

9 hours ago, sean31264 said:

Hi everyone new to this site is there any people out there who have knowledge to help me with a engine transmission issue not sure what to do have chance to buy a hurth hbw 20 gearbox my engine is a Perkins prima 2.0 diesel the type with the alloy rocker cover it’s currently onto a penta 270 outdrive thinking of going back to shaft and propeller thanks in advance for any advise 

sean

Sounds like a plan, you may lose a bit of performance in exchange for ease of maintenance and reliability

10 hours ago, sean31264 said:

it’s currently onto a penta 270 outdrive thinking of going back to shaft and propeller

To change to a shaft and prop, would you not need to shift the engine forward? An outdrive engine sits at the far rear of the boat, where a shaft is more mid ship??

Hi, 

moving to shaft will need the engine moving midship.

Youll also need rudder and a skeg fitting. So it’s pretty much a tear up of your hull…