Newbies old boat

moonlighter

Welcome Moonlighter! Glad to have you with us. She's a good looking boat - I've not seen an Icelander before. Looks very capable and a full height cuddy too? Bet she keeps you out of the weather nicely, and I bet she goes well with a 75 on the back? 👍

Hi and welcome. That boat looks really nice, and in super condition for something born in 1987 - it is a credit to you the way you have kept it. The trailer does look a lot newer than that. Do you do a lot of trail to different venues? Geoff.

7 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Welcome Moonlighter! Glad to have you with us. She's a good looking boat - I've not seen an Icelander before. Looks very capable and a full height cuddy too? Bet she keeps you out of the weather nicely, and I bet she goes well with a 75 on the back too 👍

Hi Andy, She is a great boat though the weight and windage of the open cabin on an 18 footer needs managing. Easily done with fuel tanks and my wrecking lead bucket!

The luxury of sitting out of the cold (or scorching sun) outweighs any other issues in my mind.

I have come home in some very snotty following seas and never had a problem.

Modern boats are all rigged with bigger engines which I would like but i get to cruise at 18-22 knots 2 up and at full chat get 28knots. the fuel economy is not as good as a modern 4 stroke as i burn 1.25-1.75 litres per nm. 

9 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Hi and welcome. That boat looks really nice, and in super condition for something born in 1987 - it is a credit to you the way you have kept it. The trailer does look a lot newer than that. Do you do a lot of trail to different venues? Geoff.

Geoff,

Yes I replace the old trailer with the one pictured in 2010 and sold the old one on to a nice chap in Devon

The tow vehicle has also been changer to an Isuzu Rodeo Denver which pull like a dream.

I normally fish out of Littlehampton but also visit Herne Bay, Chichester harbour, exmouth and Brixham.

Those speeds are very respectable. In practice, 20kts seems to be about right for comfortable cruising.

Yes, those consumption figures could be improved on with a newer engine, but it would take literally forever to make the cost of the new engine back in fuel savings so upgrading probably isn't an economically sensible move, unless there are other motivating factors e.g. reliability or terminal failure of your current engine. But if neither are an issue then I'd say stick with what you have 👍

45 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Those speeds are very respectable. In practice, 20kts seems to be about right for comfortable cruising.

Yes, those consumption figures could be improved on with a newer engine, but it would take literally forever to make the cost of the new engine back in fuel savings so upgrading probably isn't an economically sensible move, unless there are other motivating factors e.g. reliability or terminal failure of your current engine. But if neither are an issue then I'd say stick with what you have 👍

Andy,

My thoughts exactly. In fact if something terminal were to happen my outboard engineer has quoted me £3k for a total rebuild of that engine (as he really rates them for reliability and build strength) which may well be the cheapest overall option.

42 minutes ago, captin slows old outlaw said:

hi .the boat looks grate i hop you dont have to rebild the outboard ,

Are you volunteering to do it then Pete? If you are I have a 100hp version of the same engine that needs some help! Geoff.

Hi Pete, I was only joking although if you were only 20 miles away it would be another matter. Engine has to be pulled down as suspect oil injection problems leading to seizure. Engine is mid/late eighties, but in very clean condition and too good to scrap IMHO. Geoff.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Hi Pete, I was only joking although if you were only 20 miles away it would be another matter. Engine has to be pulled down as suspect oil injection problems leading to seizure. Engine is mid/late eighties, but in very clean condition and too good to scrap IMHO. Geoff.

There speaks the voice of a hoarder... 😉🤣