25th Aug Weymouth

mike farrants

In laws were down so i took thurs and friday off to go fishing with Phil. 

Thursday saw us out on pugwash - first for bait in portlands entrances - the mackies were hard to come by and after over an hour we only had 5 having tried 2 entrances - we said what we really need is double that amount - just a couple more each and suddenly bang - i pull in 3 phil brings in 2 - doubled our catch and bait for the day sorted!

I also had a lovely red gurnard on the feathers.

we anchored at a spot i know turns up a great variety of fish and we weren't disappointed. 

I had a couple of decent sized thornies, gurnards, and dogs and phil was on conger duty! 

image.png.3b7e21e8a6900de6176a404cef0e6a42.png   

image.png.406f75ccc4fd6ae301a9e89875ec22c8.png

image.png.19a241a83ff92863eff52a7e38f00950.png

image.png.de1355393d2bcd83495f1b88e500ec6d.png

image.png.ef1081ef4d00dc3e5162e4254f64e9ad.png

All day we were getting rattling bites on our big baits - so i chucked down a small hook rig - but try as i might i didnt find out what it was - either small bream or gurnard. I also had a monster spider crab that dropped off 1ft below the surface. and we saw the dolphin again!

fishing was steady in a strong ebb tide - but the 2 big fish came at slack - a 10lb thornie for me and big conger for Phil that must have been close to 15lb 

image.png.99b57403ae85db559c26fb197bfca185.png

image.png.320fad252d275dddae1c6d0523d5069f.png

lovely day out - and some fantastic fish!

15 minutes ago, JonC said:

What sort of depth are you getting the roker in? We always get them in shallow (30’) water I wonder if they put a better effort in in the deeper stuff? 

70-80ft - my 10lber was stuck fast on the bottom as it was slack water and put in a few head shakes and a couple of runs - the tide runs hard here and that usually lifts them - its hard work with them kiting in the tide.   

1 hour ago, mike farrants said:

70-80ft - my 10lber was stuck fast on the bottom as it was slack water and put in a few head shakes and a couple of runs - the tide runs hard here and that usually lifts them - its hard work with them kiting in the tide.   

When we get them they usually stick to the bottom for a minute then kite up in the tide giving very little fight.