Beesands Today

Plaicehunter

Well done PH! Sounds like a good little session 👍

I know Beesands well, we walk the dogs on the beach when visiting my parents who live not far from there.

I hear that garfish make good eating. Have you tried them?

34 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks for sharing Graham. I’ve yet to catch a gurnard. They look so cute, especially the red ones. 

True story. A red gurnard was the very first fish to grace the deck of Apache under my ownership. Fell to mackerel feathers north of Dean Elbow.

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

True story. A red gurnard was the very first fish to grace the deck of Apache under my ownership. Fell to mackerel feathers north of Dean Elbow.

Are you sure it wasn’t a dog fish? 
#notreallyjealous

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Thanks for sharing Graham. I’ve yet to catch a gurnard. They look so cute, especially the red ones. 

This was a tub, the ones with a bright blue edge to the pectoral fins. Although they are apparently good eating, they are far too pretty to kill.

Although they live on the bottom, they are highly predatory and often take a small jig or dropper lure worked close to the sea bed. They are also frequently found on the same marks as plaice. I am always pleased to catch one. PH

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Well done PH! Sounds like a good little session 👍

I know Beesands well, we walk the dogs on the beach when visiting my parents who live not far from there.

I hear that garfish make good eating. Have you tried them?

Beesands is a lovely spot, though a slow drive from Plymouth. Apparently gar make good eating, though their green bones put some people off. I don't eat fish at all and usually put gar back, but kept two today for whiting bait as the dog has eaten all my mackerel! PH