Quick shore session

JDP

Ok jobs all finished so time for a fish. Raining and windy meant for an evening session on the beach. Plenty of bluefish and salmon for bait, with a nice mullaway taking the first bait followed by a variety of rays. 
Hopefully tomorrow will back off enough to get the boat out among the marlin.

8CCCF6E8-320F-46D8-A906-F27FF8B7FC97.jpeg.3fb0cdca439c28cfef025ac986d8efc5.jpeg
2D7262CF-ADED-4CED-A04F-04D25260E212.jpeg.96612deb49c521e91192470832de938f.jpeg

44FA5BAE-FFD6-4E85-89B9-7B1D0F5AFE4E.jpeg.ba381a159356cca2cea2367f45d6c042.jpeg

4 hours ago, mick said:

you don`t half get some unusual fish down under.

well done

And big fish from the shore too. Don't think I've ever caught anything as large as those from shore.

7 hours ago, mick said:

you don`t half get some unusual fish down under.

well done

The silver goldfish looking fish are like the holy grail of beach fishing here, often called ghosts and can reach up around 75kg. When they get over 20kg they are very strong fighters. Being a very cautious fish when it comes to baits and tackle presentation means those who do catch them have normally put in considerable effort to do so.

8 hours ago, JDP said:

The silver goldfish looking fish are like the holy grail of beach fishing here, often called ghosts and can reach up around 75kg. When they get over 20kg they are very strong fighters. Being a very cautious fish when it comes to baits and tackle presentation means those who do catch them have normally put in considerable effort to do so.

Unlike you who just got lucky?

14 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Unlike you who just got lucky?

I did a fair amount of research on the species when I first moved here. Over 12 months I went to the Sydney fish markets 2hrs before I started work ( 5am ) where I collected data from commercial catches. Such things as tide, moon phase, area water temps, weather conditions, barametric pressure, water temps at capture locations etc etc. Combining these facts with their preferred bait species gives you a better chance. It took me over almost 2yrs before I could consistently target them, however where I live now these fish are even less common.

1 hour ago, JDP said:

I did a fair amount of research on the species when I first moved here. Over 12 months I went to the Sydney fish markets 2hrs before I started work ( 5am ) where I collected data from commercial catches. Such things as tide, moon phase, area water temps, weather conditions, barametric pressure, water temps at capture locations etc etc. Combining these facts with their preferred bait species gives you a better chance. It took me over almost 2yrs before I could consistently target them, however where I live now these fish are even less common.

Well I guess that shuts you up @Saintly Fish 🤣