First blank of the year

Malc

And the first shore session of the year. 

Started on an open sand beach to try for flats, which we are going to use for tope in June, I was using shrimp tail tipped with mackerel belly strip on a two hook flapper. I found a nice gully 10 m out that dropped a couple of foot quickly. 

20230411_145314.thumb.jpg.ae84c971331efe2e36b3b7d665385f1b.jpg

The sunny weather lasted an hour when the wind turned to blow diagonally inshore making bites hard to detect and even though a cormorant was fishing the same area and doing well I didn't get a touch. Eventually the gully was too far out to reach without destroying my baits on casting, so I tried the river but nothing doing even though the conditions were better. Hopefully the fish will return soon and there will be lots of different species to try for. 

3 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Unlucky Malc. Whenever I've fished for flatties I normally found them right behind the second breaking wave, this I put down to the waves churning up the sea bed. 

Yeah, no real wave action but the cormorant was bagging up in the same area I was casting, I also tried the slow retrieve but no joy. Might try the LRF sometime soon