Heading 90 degrees out

12 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Sounds like you just need to do a calibration. Mine has been correct for 5 years then 3 weeks ago was out by 30deg. 

Quick google search, put it into calibration mode for the heading sensor/flux gate compass, you basically do a big circle at low speed and ta-da sorted 🙂 

I tried that last week, returned to correct orientation whilst calibrating, then went back to 90 degrees out when supposedly finished

I'll give it another try in the bay when I get chance

• 5 months later...

Update for those interested

Picked up a 2nd hand Garmin 18HD radome this week and fitted it Friday morning

Didn't have time to give it a proper test as I had a few jobs booked in, so left it until the Saturday

When the mfd's are switched on, none of them showed the radar option, checked power cable at radome end and it was dead

However, the heading problem I had after removing the knackered radome had been resolved, result !

I thought it was a couple of degrees out, so opted to carry out a factory reset at sea

Bad choice as all 3 plotters were then 180 degrees out and we appeared to be going backwards

Tried the recalibration procedure on the fluxgate compass a few times and got it back to 90 degrees out again

Got up on the roof and unplugged the network cable, left it a minute or so then reconnected and it was OK again

Which was a relief as we had to navigate some shallow water to get back in and it gets a bit confusing when your boat doesn't know it's arse from it's elbow

I couldn't trace the power cable as some panels need to come off, but will get it done as soon as I get chance

Also noticed something that never happened before, when at anchor and I switch the 2 older mfd's off and leave the newer one turned on, I get a message saying that the heading sensor has been lost ?

I'll get power to the radome first, then go from there 

But, I may need the services of a teenager, they're usually pretty good with tech stuff

4 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

Or a ginger nerd? ............ 📢 ANDY !!!

@jonnyswamp, the heading sensor will likely be plugged into one of your old MFD's, which then shares the heading data with the network, so turning off that MFD will also cut the flow of heading data.

Solution will be to either connect the heading sensor directly to the network, or simply don't turn off the MFD.

On 1/14/2024 at 12:16 PM, jonnyswamp said:

Update for those interested

Picked up a 2nd hand Garmin 18HD radome this week and fitted it Friday morning

Didn't have time to give it a proper test as I had a few jobs booked in, so left it until the Saturday

When the mfd's are switched on, none of them showed the radar option, checked power cable at radome end and it was dead

However, the heading problem I had after removing the knackered radome had been resolved, result !

I thought it was a couple of degrees out, so opted to carry out a factory reset at sea

Bad choice as all 3 plotters were then 180 degrees out and we appeared to be going backwards

Tried the recalibration procedure on the fluxgate compass a few times and got it back to 90 degrees out again

Got up on the roof and unplugged the network cable, left it a minute or so then reconnected and it was OK again

Which was a relief as we had to navigate some shallow water to get back in and it gets a bit confusing when your boat doesn't know it's arse from it's elbow

I couldn't trace the power cable as some panels need to come off, but will get it done as soon as I get chance

Also noticed something that never happened before, when at anchor and I switch the 2 older mfd's off and leave the newer one turned on, I get a message saying that the heading sensor has been lost ?

I'll get power to the radome first, then go from there 

But, I may need the services of a teenager, they're usually pretty good with tech stuff

It looks like you might need to think about an electronics rewire, as it seems to me that bits and pieces have been added ad hoc in the past and although it works, it may not have been the best way to do it.