Heading 90 degrees out

Fucked about with my plotters whilst fucking about with my drowned radome and now the 2 older units are 90 degrees out when under way

Altered settings to course up and heading up and stays the same, only changes when selecting North up

What am I missing 

The newer plotter is fine

Have you tried calibrating it ? Have a look at the YouTube videos how too, it's pretty easy.

A friend was having issues with his every time his teenage son took the boat out and asked if I would take a look. Took it out on the water and it was fine but still ran through the prompted calibration settings with them. Next time they headed out they had issues so bought a new heading sensor, which again played up each time the eldest son took the boat out.

Eventually I hopped onboard when the son took the boat out with his mates to find out what was going on as the dad was about to change the two 12in simrads in frustration.  What the son was doing was doing was taking a bluetooth boom box speaker which he was placing to close to the electronic compas!!!!!!  These ariels can be effected by very slight magnetic fields, even a mobile phone next to them can alter headings. Just make sure you don't have anything close that could be effecting it.

12 hours ago, JDP said:

Have you tried calibrating it ? Have a look at the YouTube videos how too, it's pretty easy.

A friend was having issues with his every time his teenage son took the boat out and asked if I would take a look. Took it out on the water and it was fine but still ran through the prompted calibration settings with them. Next time they headed out they had issues so bought a new heading sensor, which again played up each time the eldest son took the boat out.

Eventually I hopped onboard when the son took the boat out with his mates to find out what was going on as the dad was about to change the two 12in simrads in frustration.  What the son was doing was doing was taking a bluetooth boom box speaker which he was placing to close to the electronic compas!!!!!!  These ariels can be effected by very slight magnetic fields, even a mobile phone next to them can alter headings. Just make sure you don't have anything close that could be effecting it.

Usually keep phone in one of the cup holders and hasn't ever been an issue until now

I'll try a reset again next time I go down

Mine has an issue, it can be 180deg out. Doing the calibration, which is a pain trying to go so slowly, it will get fairly close but drift off over a period. The autopilot has a habit of applying full lock which is interesting at speed. Switching it off means the plotter takes direction from GPS and is accurate, I only really need it for the rudder indicator although the autopilot can be useful. Have you tried switching the thing off?

4 hours ago, Gordmac said:

Mine has an issue, it can be 180deg out. Doing the calibration, which is a pain trying to go so slowly, it will get fairly close but drift off over a period. The autopilot has a habit of applying full lock which is interesting at speed. Switching it off means the plotter takes direction from GPS and is accurate, I only really need it for the rudder indicator although the autopilot can be useful. Have you tried switching the thing off?

If you mean switching the plotters off, yes I have, still the same

I haven't got auto pilot

2 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I've got a fuse marked up as a fluxgate compass, is it anything on this photo ?2023-07-11_10-57-57.thumb.jpg.29c611a8dae0ccde6528fc3aae7c0679.jpg

No, the fluxgate compass is normally positioned away from any electronics or metallic objects. Mine is in the forward compartment of the bilge. It doesn't look like a regular compass though as in there are no degrees or visible numbers etc, just a black box.

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

It doesn't look like a regular compass though as in there are no degrees or visible numbers etc, just a black box.

Thats because it is an electronic compass, in reality it is a number of highly magnetic toroids and some electronics.

I've got a fuse marked up as a fluxgate compass, is it anything on this photo ?2023-07-11_10-57-57.thumb.jpg.29c611a8dae0ccde6528fc3aae7c0679.jpg

Nah, nothing there.

Did you move anything else when you took off the raydome ?

As you don't have auto pilot, the best solution  will be to go into the plotter settings and select internal GPS as the source . I suspect you new plotter is set up that way.

Have a fish pic 😉👍

IMG_2364.thumb.jpeg.8c8407e90dcf9b6e6eeb11d0bb494c7c.jpeg

8 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Nah, nothing there.

Did you move anything else when you took off the raydome ?

As you don't have auto pilot, the best solution  will be to go into the plotter settings and select internal GPS as the source . I suspect you new plotter is set up that way.

Have a fish pic 😉👍

IMG_2364.thumb.jpeg.8c8407e90dcf9b6e6eeb11d0bb494c7c.jpeg

Tsk tsk Ian. 

Not sure if this will help, but this is the manual for my old autopilot system. It had a section about reprogramming the fluxgate. Probably not the same model but may give you some hints?? 

http://geonav.kgk.ee/autopilots/AP201/man201_ENG.pdf

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't had a lot of time to get to the bottom of this with work and holidays taking priority

But, managed to get out last week for a couple of hrs (no report as it's just dogs, rays, congers etc here atm) and had a play about with the system

Remembering back to the original fault/problem, it only happened after I did a factory reset on all three mfd's, the 7410 xsv is fine, the other 2 (also Garmin) 5212 and 5012 developed this fault

Found out how to reset the fluxgate compass (it should reset itself automatically apparently)  so gave it a try

Whilst underway with both screens showing the course to be approx 90 degrees out, I manually reset the compass and as it was going through it's resetting process (solid blue light) both screens rotated the course back correctly

This only stayed like this for about 10 secs until the compass had finished it's reset (blinking blue light) then both screens went back to showing an incorrect course

The 7410 xsv continues to work as it should, don't think this is connected to the fluxgate compass as course stays the same when resetting ?

Any pointers ?

Edited by jonnyswamp

Haven't had a lot of time to get to the bottom of this with work and holidays taking priority

But, managed to get out last week for a couple of hrs (no report as it's just dogs, rays, congers etc here atm) and had a play about with the system

Remembering back to the original fault/problem, it only happened after I did a factory reset on all three mfd's, the 7410 xsv is fine, the other 2 (also Garmin) 5212 and 5012 developed this fault

Found out how to reset the fluxgate compass (it should reset itself automatically apparently)  so gave it a try

Whilst underway with both screens showing the course to be approx 90 degrees out, I manually reset the compass and as it was going through it's resetting process (solid blue light) both screens rotated the course back correctly

This only stayed like this for about 10 secs until the compass had finished it's reset (blinking blue light) then both screens went back to showing an incorrect course

The 7410 xsv continues to work as it should, don't think this is connected to the fluxgate compass as course stays the same when resetting ?

Any pointers ?

Is the fluxgate compass knackered??

23 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Is the fluxgate compass knackered??

I don't know mate, it all coincides with me doing a factory reset a few weeks ago

Next time I'm down, I'll try another reset and see what happens if no-one else can help

EDIT

I could well have turned something off (or vice versa) within the plotter settings whilst fucking about with it I suppose

Edited by jonnyswamp

8 hours ago, jonnyswamp said:

I don't know mate, it all coincides with me doing a factory reset a few weeks ago

Next time I'm down, I'll try another reset and see what happens if no-one else can help

EDIT

I could well have turned something off (or vice versa) within the plotter settings whilst fucking about with it I suppose

Sounds like you just need to do a calibration. Mine has been correct for 5 years then 3 weeks ago was out by 30deg. 

Quick google search, put it into calibration mode for the heading sensor/flux gate compass, you basically do a big circle at low speed and ta-da sorted 🙂