Fly-by-wire 60hp outboards?

18 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Anyone know if there's an outboard manufacturer that does a 60hp motor with fly-by-wire controls?

Most seem to offer this on their bigger engines only?

I think mercury do it as an option on all their later engines that share the same platform (60 - 225). Above 225, it is standard.

I thought about it with my 150, but was advised against it, unless it is tied into the joystick option, which was mega expensive back on 2019 ( about £3k).

Edited by GPSguru

I had FBW on Jersey Girl and really liked the smoothness of the throttle control. Made close quarters manoeuvres much easier as you don't have to fight the friction of the throttle cable. Will see what the Mercury option is.

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

I had FBW on Jersey Girl and really liked the smoothness of the throttle control. Made close quarters manoeuvres much easier as you don't have to fight the friction of the throttle cable. Will see what the Mercury option is.

If your cables are fitted correctly and in good condition they shouldn't have any friction. This was proved to me when I had my throttle cable changed recently, now gone from a full push with the hand to finger tip control. 

2 hours ago, Saintly Fish said:

If your cables are fitted correctly and in good condition they shouldn't have any friction. This was proved to me when I had my throttle cable changed recently, now gone from a full push with the hand to finger tip control. 

Yeah, but on the sort of tub I'm looking at there will be at least one 90 degree turn. Yours has a much straighter run from helm to throttle linkage.

14 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Yeah, but on the sort of tub I'm looking at there will be at least one 90 degree turn. Yours has a much straighter run from helm to throttle linkage.

Mine actually runs past the engine on the starboard side of the engine room, then comes back on itself. So actually does a 180 turn to connect to the linkage in the port side of the engine. Ok, it is a smoother curve, but defo not a straight run.

90's seem to be the lowest over here.

Why would you want it, do you do lots of constant in out of gear all day ?

I have both stainless and aluminium props for different styles of boating. With divers in the water, I often run the aluminium as I'm in and out of gear most of the day and the aluminium is far less clunky, in fact its quite smooth with that prop. Also when Im jigging or using soft plastics I use the alu as I use the engine much like with divers.

My stainless is for long fast runs between a & b.

15 minutes ago, JDP said:

I have both stainless and aluminium props for different styles of boating. With divers in the water, I often run the aluminium as I'm in and out of gear most of the day and the aluminium is far less clunky, in fact its quite smooth with that prop. Also when Im jigging or using soft plastics I use the alu as I use the engine much like with divers.

I want it because its smoother than a cable shift. But as you say, there don't appear to be any smaller engines available with it 😕.

12 hours ago, JDP said:

Coz he’s a posh git 🤣