Tackling turbos?

If you were on new ground and wanted to tackle turbot what would you be looking for?

Fast tidal runs, bait fish, scours round wrecks, sand (mud/gravel...) between rocks, sudden sandy drops?

Many thanks ya'll!

2 hours ago, Malc said:

If you were on new ground and wanted to tackle turbot what would you be looking for?

Fast tidal runs, bait fish, scours round wrecks, sand (mud/gravel...) between rocks, sudden sandy drops?

Many thanks ya'll!

@GPSguru is your man for this. I've only caught one turbot before, and that was by accident when drifting for tope 🤣

1 hour ago, Saintly Fish said:

Was that not a brill? 

That'll do as well but I know that there are inshore turbos, some good ones too, but an offshore one would be nice and I have never landed one before. 

Brill would be great but not heard of them up here. 

Edited by Malc

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

That's telling as it would be a similar idea.

It was half a side of mackerel on a 6/0 Aberdeen on a wire trace. Half a side i.e. long and thin so a bit like a sandeel, if you squint. Bounced along the bottom over sandy shingle banks off the back of the Needles, IoW.

7 hours ago, Malc said:

Many thanks ya'll!

I would be looking for a reasonably fast tide that is flowing over a bank, and then fish on the bank slope where the Turbot will wait for the food to be brought to them by the tide.

If launce are in evidence, all the better as that is their favourite food, we even cut long Mack and/or squid strips to look like launce.

The best substrate is a sand gravel mix, i.e. extremely coarse sand, almost gravel.

Another place you will often find Turbot in hiding in the scour of a wreck, so again, a reasonable fast tide area where food will be brought to them with very little effort on their part. However, scours are notoriously difficult to fish on the drift.

Rig wise, a simple running ledger, using a watch lead to create maximum sand disturbance, and a 3ft flowing trace with a bit of bling. I have tried spoons but cannot detect any difference in the catch rate.

Smaller Turbot are quite willing feeders (3lb - 5lb) but the larger fish are a fair bit more fussy and everything needs to be just right. My biggest is 13lb, however, I fish an area where a 30lb fish is more than a possibility.

I don't normally post pics of Turbo's as it quite often easily gives the location away 🙄

Here is Kyle with a 5lb plus fish, this was May 2020, I moved the boat by a couple of miles to take the pic ................

IMG_1017.thumb.JPG.4b33c94759886b43db61231c4273ea36.JPG

Edited by GPSguru

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

a bit of bling.

Oh, that's a bit different, most of the other recommendations I have heard before. 

We know that there are fish inshore and although most are little saucers there are bigger ones being caught from the shore. It's a long strip of sand with heavy rock either end and well offshore the trawls pick them up, however we do get lots of launce and there are some good areas of tide with reasonable banks of sand etc so the potential is there so we need to change tactics and area to see whether they are there. 

14 hours ago, Malc said:

Oh, that's a bit different, most of the other recommendations I have heard before. 

Certainly not the amount of bling that you would you for Plaice !

I usually use a couple of small lumi beads above the hook, and a small metal attractor blade just to give it the flash that attracts the Turbots attention. Most Turbot inline spoons are really quite large, which is a pain in a strong tide flow.

We’ve got a bank just outside Milford Haven called the Turbot Bank….. only it doesn’t hold turbot…

The only ones I’ve caught have been drifting sandbanks with 6ft running ledger, fillet of mackerel. That was on Nash Bank Bristol Channel. Sadly most are small as we don’t get turbos round here 😞 

Lots of turbo at Swansea,lot fewer since north Devon trawlers targeted the banks, mainly in the 1-2lb range lots of smaller ones even in rock pools so must spawn locally ?,usually caught of top of sand banks rising out of deeper water may onwards, best way in fair bit of tide using shortish running ledger(4’) watch type lead just heavy enough to drag slowly around in tide when cast 20-30 yds off side of boat,3/0-4/0 hook, best bait small ammo sand eel or thin 3-4” trip of fresh mack belly, although a friendly gill netter reckons asmall live whiting fished up steepest side of bank works he’s had them to 20#. No one locally seems to get them over5#  on rod and line despite quite a lot about shore and boat, if you know locally where small eye ray are caught that’s the place as both are big Sandeel feeders

2 hours ago, Phil williams said:

if you know locally where small eye ray are caught that’s the place as both are big Sandeel feeders

Not many up this far unfortunately, I'm in the Tyne and Wear area, plenty of sandeel and herring as well as whiting.