Lanzarote fishing experience?

Pecheur Anglais

Although its looking as uncertain as a very uncertain thing, we are supposed to have a week in Playa Blanca in about three weeks.

I will be taking a 20g-80g travel spinning rod. Will almost certainly wet a line off the rocks and also considering renting a little boat for a few hours.

Any outlaws had experience of fishing in the area, that they would like to share? 

49 minutes ago, Pecheur Anglais said:

Although its looking as uncertain as a very uncertain thing, we are supposed to have a week in Playa Blanca in about three weeks.

I will be taking a 20g-80g travel spinning rod. Will almost certainly wet a line off the rocks and also considering renting a little boat for a few hours.

Any outlaws had experience of fishing in the area, that they would like to share? 

On lures you will catch lizard fish. Horrible little things. 

From fuerto, next island they catch some amazing fish. Huge stingers and some other ugly thing with a head like a tv. 
They do plenty of charters there as well, a little bit upmarket of the usual noddy trips, nice boats fishing for small tubs of some kind with live bait sardines. I believe you do need a licence to fish, which costs a few quid but nobody bothers. 

0E864FB3-DA37-4A18-912D-01239DC09E1D.jpeg

6A7E34B3-D525-4964-90E1-B727FCD48763.jpeg

Having heard tales of on the spot fines in various parts of Spain, I took the precaution of buying a three year license, 40€ for mainland Spain, Balearics and Canaries. Probably cheaper than just one fine.

I have heard that live baiting is legal subject to species/size used. Not seen anything official about that, but plan to give it a try.

• 4 weeks later...

My best advice about fishing Lanzarote is to contact Pete Berry - blumeeni on another popular sea fishing forum. Pete is an expat Welshman who lives near Playa Blanca and is the local expert. He has helped literally dozens of visitors to catch memorable fish from the shore, thankfully including me. The result is a WhatsApp group called Lanza Louts, guys from all over Europe with one thing in common: they have all fished with Pete. While he enjoys lure fishing from the shore (Pete doesn't do boats, though he has friends in Lanzarote who do), he catches most of his big fish on boga livebait. They include bluefish, bonito and barracuda, as well as predatory bream and dorado. I spent a week shore fishing in PB last February/March and caught lots of fish, including bonito of 11lb and 9lb on livebait. I hope to go again once Covid permits. And yes, do get a licence - best to buy online to save a lot of hassle! Hope this helps. PH

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the suggestions and pictures etc. Here is a little update. Obviously with lockdown my proposed trip got cancelled and two further bookings after that as well. Hopefully tenacity will pay off as we are booked for another attempt in June.

I have been in touch with the very helpful Mr Pete Berry, I have my licence, I have tuned my list of what to take and the travel situation is looking promising! Fingers crossed!

14 minutes ago, Pecheur Anglais said:

Thanks for the suggestions and pictures etc. Here is a little update. Obviously with lockdown my proposed trip got cancelled and two further bookings after that as well. Hopefully tenacity will pay off as we are booked for another attempt in June.

I have been in touch with the very helpful Mr Pete Berry, I have my licence, I have tuned my list of what to take and the travel situation is looking promising! Fingers crossed!

Good luck, is the destination on the governments green list?