Alternative fish baits.

Scad, sprats, whitebait, eel (tope & bass), lamprey, salmon waste (€8 per tray, lots of belly strip from under throat, heads for chum one day), langoustine (find a boat with less than a box) dead they're worthless but great bait (bass), clams, cockles, mussels (squid stuffed with shellfish), razors and any fish for conger

9 minutes ago, SiDfish said:

Use any bits of fish, shellfish etc to stuff a large squid mantle.  Tie off, pierce all over and freeze.  Now you have a squid bomb, great for bass

Great tip. Will give that a try - thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2020 at 7:08 PM, Saintly Fish said:

So apart from.....

squid, cuttle, mackerel, sand eels, rainbow trout etc.... what other fish baits you can get from the fishmongers are good dead baits? 

I wouldn't use anything 'fresh' from the fishmongers. I catch and freeze mackerel, dig king rag, hunt for crab and buy peelers if feeling flush.

I have tried razorfish from Morrisons without any success at all, though tackle shop frozen razor works for me, as does tackle shop calamari.

I sometimes wonder if seafood in supermarkets has been treated in some way to make it fit for human consumption but which makes it less attractive to fish.

Tackle shop calamari, in the 1lb and 5lb boxes, are exactly the same brand/s that I find in my local Chinese supermarket. Not sure they treat the squid differently between the two, so maybe you just had bad luck on the day?

I use calamari and some shellfish from the fishmongers, maccy as well if they have it. I don't buy from the supermarket unless I can't get it elsewhere. My mate got given a load of out of date large squid, so we've been using that for some time Think that came from a chinese...... Seldom buy worms these days, and certainly can't be bothered to dig them.

Fresh mussels can be good when in season. Never had any joy on crab, but don't doubt it can be a killer bait on its day

3 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I certainly don’t use rag worm any more. They make far too much mess. Lug worm is ok, black lug wrapped in paper the preferred worm. 

We don't see much in the way of rag worm in these parts, tho there are a couple of very good tackle shops that will supply, one in Cromer, the other Yarmouth.... Lug a plenty tho

9 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

anyone tried crab sticks?

I could be wrong, but aren't crab sticks not actually made of crab? I seem to remember they're made of something else?

Just googled: Who knew? https://www.google.com/search?q=what+are+crab+sticks+made+of&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB831GB831&oq=what+are+crab+sticks+made+of&aqs=chrome.0.0l2j0i22i30l5j0i390.4113j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

11 minutes ago, mike farrants said:

I never believed they were crab, but didnt know what they were - used to love them as a kid - used to spend my pocket money on them instead of sweets!

might revisit them..... 

we always used to blag them when in the pub with the family as kids. The guy used to come round with a tray tied round his neck full of sea food. Mr Winkle or summin like that.