How much backing?

I don't use mono backing. I wrap electrical tape round the spool a few turns to give the braid something to bite into, then fill the spool with braid. It's comforting to know that if I ever hook into something really big I'll have plenty of braid available.

Still waiting though...

My thinking is though that just braid means a shit load of braid is needed. Isn't the backing there to "pad out" the spool? 300m of braid takes up approx half the space of mono, so the retrieve is slower because the spool load is smaller. Padding out makes the retrieve more effective surely?

28 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

My thinking is though that just braid means a shit load of braid is needed. Isn't the backing there to "pad out" the spool? 300m of braid takes up approx half the space of mono, so the retrieve is slower because the spool load is smaller. Padding out makes the retrieve more effective surely?

Yes you are right, as the circumference gets greater more line is gathered per turn. also you ain’t never gonna be needing nothin like 300m of line.

I add a spool of braid then reverse it I a few years. At end of each season cut a few yards off the end. 

Yes I could use mono backing but makes more work to reverse the line then..... 

10 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

I add a spool of braid then reverse it I a few years. At end of each season cut a few yards off the end. 

Yes I could use mono backing but makes more work to reverse the line then..... 

I think for yourself it’s a worthwhile way to spool up as you are catching fish that actually take a bit of line. 

36 minutes ago, JonC said:

So why are you using electric tape as backing ? Are you going to tape it’s mouth shut when that dogfish spools you? 

If it had spooled me then I couldn't have caught it to tape its mouth shut now could I...

2 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

If it had spooled me then I couldn't have caught it to tape its mouth shut now could I...

It may have come back to taunt you. 
well done though for dragging this off topic. 

You really need 3 reels to do it properly. However, it is not so important to get it ‘spoton’ on a boat reel.

I tend to look at the spool rating for mono and then mathematically calculate how much braid would be required. On the charter specials I usually load on a little over a third of cheap mono and then about 300m of 28lb spectra. Using mono stops ‘spool slip’ where any tension on the braid can cause the spool to slip on the braid.

I use a half blood for spool to mono and a FG or Yacatan for mono to braid.

i don't like using tape because of the sticky residue. Also, I always have shit loads of mono kicking around !

1 hour ago, GPSguru said:

I usually load on a little over a third of cheap mono

Yep I’ve done roughly that. I’ve just bought Leo a new Okuma SLX 10lx and put one third Pisces 18lb mono on to it first and then the other 2 thirds 28lb spectra. Now need a new spooling station as I’ve bust up my Berkeley one that I’ve had for a few years.