Garmin Strike Plus 5cv Gamble

Hi

Seen a Garmin Strike Plus 5cv with transducer brand new but a customer return and no guarantee it works. 

If I can get it for under £100 I might take a punt. Does any one repair these if it does have an issue? 

Does anyone have one or know if they are any good?

Thanks

Just to add, manufacturers tend to aim the 5" screens at kayak anglers as they are usually able to be closer to the screens and the smaller size of the units works well in the limited mounting space available on a yak.

1 hour ago, Andy135 said:

Haven't played with those models before, but be aware that you may find the 5" screen a bit (very) small. I wonder if the reason it was returned was because the first owner found it too tiny.

Most phones are bigger than that now I think 

Not sure on the Garmin strike whether it has Bluetooth or not? If it has you could possibly connect it to an iPad and have a two screens running! I know my lowrance TI5 unit used to do it and it was ok linked to a 10” iPad. 
My Garmin 8410’s have WiFi, but may just be a feature on the more advanced models. 

49 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Just had a quick look, WiFi is only on the 7&9” units. 

The WiFi on these is quite limited, the only thing it allows you to do, is to create a WiFi network to connect your phone or tablet and upload / download tracks and charts etc via 'active captain'. It also might connect via Wifi to Homeport, but I have never tried it, I tend to use the micro SD card facility.

15 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

The WiFi on these is quite limited, the only thing it allows you to do, is to create a WiFi network to connect your phone or tablet and upload / download tracks and charts etc via 'active captain'. It also might connect via Wifi to Homeport, but I have never tried it, I tend to use the micro SD card facility.

Well the write up said you can use the active captain feature, which I use on mine via my iPhone. It makes updating the software easier. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 7:14 AM, Saintly Fish said:

Not sure on the Garmin strike whether it has Bluetooth or not? If it has you could possibly connect it to an iPad and have a two screens running! I know my lowrance TI5 unit used to do it and it was ok linked to a 10” iPad. 
My Garmin 8410’s have WiFi, but may just be a feature on the more advanced models. 

When you say 8410's do you mean you have more than one 8410 models. My reason for asking is that I find mine a little cramped on space and using an iPad with active captain only replicates whats on the 8410, unless you know a work around this ? It would be good to use my 8410 for fish searching and an iPad for charts.

Im fast becoming addicted to my panoptics transducer :classic_smile:

10 minutes ago, JDP said:

When you say 8410's do you mean you have more than one 8410 models. My reason for asking is that I find mine a little cramped on space and using an iPad with active captain only replicates whats on the 8410, unless you know a work around this ? It would be good to use my 8410 for fish searching and an iPad for charts.

Im fast becoming addicted to my panoptics transducer :classic_smile:

Yes I have two, and two transducers. 

The garmin Striker Plus 5 is a fishfinder with the ability to enter waypoints manualy .

it has no facility for proper maps, no sd card slot,and no wifi.

We have one fitted on our rib.

Wanted the GPS map but 65 was too big and too bloody expensive,gone up by £100.