Jump to content

Finally!!


suzook12
 Share

Recommended Posts

Finally crawled out the pit after an intensive week welding an Iveco Daily. Re-test tomorrow so hopefully passes, then get everything else done at a more leisurely pace.....

About 4 bin bags full of rust removed, almost a full sheet of 1.2mm mild steel welded in....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, JonC said:

I hope they are nice beads, like a line of coins. Not like the bird shit effect I seem to have mastered 

Bit of both mate TBH, welding vehicles is a nightmare like that. Too many areas that you can't get the sealer/underseal off of, what seemed like solide turns out to be solid rust....

Must admit, wondered where you was going with "line of co......" 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve had nightmares trying to weld bits of my Land Rover, trying to get past the rust and managing to set fire to the wax oil. I’m shit at welding and I only had stick welding technology to hand. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JonC said:

I hope they are nice beads, like a line of coins. Not like the bird shit effect I seem to have mastered  

You have brightened up my day.  Reminds me when I was in structural engineering and seeing the fantastic welding some of the guys could do, and some couldn't do anything other than bird shit lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

You have brightened up my day.  Reminds me when I was in structural engineering and seeing the fantastic welding some of the guys could do, and some couldn't do anything other than bird shit lol

I fall into the latter. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JonC said:

I’ve had nightmares trying to weld bits of my Land Rover, trying to get past the rust and managing to set fire to the wax oil. I’m shit at welding and I only had stick welding technology to hand. 

Kin'ell, that is like to repair a Swiss watch with a lump hammer  ...........

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I used to hold codings in MIG and TIG, but that bares no relation to welding rusty POS's 😉

 

I have been hobby welding with Gas, Mig, & Tig all my life, my father was a precision engineer and coded welder, he taught me to gas weld at 9 years old ..........

My current MIG is a 350A SIP Industrial synergic, and my TIG is an older Miiler ..........

Getting a row of pennies on Ali with a TIG is an art form ................ these days I tend to MIG both Ali and Stainless, 316 responds very will to MIG using heated Argon.

However, well done on sorting out the Iveco, welding rusty cars is not a favourite passtime !

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Kin'ell, that is like to repair a Swiss watch with a lump hammer  ...........

Nobody has ever compared a defender to a Swiss watch before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JonC said:

Nobody has ever compared a defender to a Swiss watch before. 

Swiss cheese maybe but not a watch....

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GPSguru said:

I have been hobby welding with Gas, Mig, & Tig all my life, my father was a precision engineer and coded welder, he taught me to gas weld at 9 years old ..........

My current MIG is a 350A SIP Industrial synergic, and my TIG is an older Miiler ..........

Getting a row of pennies on Ali with a TIG is an art form ................ these days I tend to MIG both Ali and Stainless, 316 responds very will to MIG using heated Argon.

However, well done on sorting out the Iveco, welding rusty cars is not a favourite passtime !

 

I am currently using a single phase cebora Mig, got it for peanuts off of ebay. That replaced my Kemppi mini mig which was also peanuts off of ebay. Fortunately. no-one seems to know the names on the "proper" stuff, migatronic, sealey and the likes were stupidly expensive..... Result eh? My last TIG was an old Hobarth ac/dc pulse unit with built in plasma if you had the harness. Massive old thing that used to take the trip out nearly every time till the transformer was "full".Needed a "d" curve trip, or glass fuse, couldn't find a trip for love nor money and was getting quoted too much to rip the electrics out and do it again with the fuse option.... Beautiful thing to weld with though....

Do you use push pull system for MIG ally?

Never come across heated argon before, will have a read up later

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, suzook12 said:

I am currently using a single phase cebora Mig, got it for peanuts off of ebay. That replaced my Kemppi mini mig which was also peanuts off of ebay. Fortunately. no-one seems to know the names on the "proper" stuff, migatronic, sealey and the likes were stupidly expensive..... Result eh? My last TIG was an old Hobarth ac/dc pulse unit with built in plasma if you had the harness. Massive old thing that used to take the trip out nearly every time till the transformer was "full".Needed a "d" curve trip, or glass fuse, couldn't find a trip for love nor money and was getting quoted too much to rip the electrics out and do it again with the fuse option.... Beautiful thing to weld with though....

Do you use push pull system for MIG ally?

Never come across heated argon before, will have a read up later

Heated gas is a heater that is on the gas outlet to the Mig. I use it for both argon and argoshield. 

Because the SIP is synergic, I always push weld as the machine electronics takes care of inconsistent gun / hand movements by automatically altering the wire feed and power.

The only time I ever pull is on very awkward vertical welds.

On Steel / Stainless steel I use a parweld 5m gun, but on Ali I use a parweld 3m with a teflon liner. 

Yesterday I was welding some 8mm plate to 6mm box section for part of my decking footings.

I know what you mean about trips. My garage is my workshop and has a separate 16mm feed via a ‘D’ curve 63amp breaker which just about copes with the MIG on full power. 350A is about the biggest I can run on single phase and I power it using a Blue industrial plug (commando plug).

 

 

Edited by GPSguru
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JonC said:

Nobody has ever compared a defender to a Swiss watch before. 

True, I I was referring to attempting small vehicle repairs using a stick welder, which by even the best standards is very agricultural ! 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, the Iveco scraped through it's retest today, so thats the end of stage one

Note, it wasn't the welding that scraped through, but the oil leak. Thought I had it sussed after replacing the sump, as no further dripping. Afyer a 15 mile run out for the tes, it was still peeing out of the rear main seal.... So gearbox off in the near future.... Can't put the welder away just yet either, still plenty to do that wasn't structural or bad enough to fail.

Well earned rest for the chief patch cutter though, after his first 14 hour day that wasn't fishing 🤣

I had a 350A MIG as well, remember when I sold it, the guy that came to look at it wacked the settings up to try it at the top end and blew straight through a bit of 8mm plate....

Back in the days of building/repairing trailers/tankers, we used to use esab welders with pneumatic motor push pull set up with around 10M harnesses. Took a while to load up a fresh spool. Once you got used to the weight, they were alright til the seals started getting a bit leaky. This was around the time synergic welders first came about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Afyer a 15 mile run out for the tes, it was still peeing out of the rear main seal

 

Another absolutely shite job !

 

5 hours ago, suzook12 said:

This was around the time synergic welders first came about.

 

I think I bought mine in about 2007 / 8

The beauty of Synergic is that I just set the polarity and rough power setting and the welder does the rest. It is sort of the 'tarts' welder as you would have to be really bad to get an iffy looking lump of seagull shite, although I can manage that when I forget to turn the gas on 🤣

Mine is  identical to this, but 350A

spacer.png

Edited by GPSguru
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GPSguru said:

 

Another absolutely shite job !

 

 

 It is sort of the 'tarts' welder as you would have to be really bad to get an iffy looking lump of seagull shite, although I can manage that when I forget to turn the gas on 🤣

 

Of course, I've never done this!! 🤣.....

..........

.........Much 🤣

My little cebora will do me for now, it managed 8mm plate quite easily when I was doing my boat trailer (positional), think it was only the suspension plates I did with the big set.

I have used synergic before but didn't really like it, but that was in its infancy then. My mate has a couple of synergics and reckons one is better suited to SS and the other MS so that's how they get used. I think I may get another TIG before I go for a big MIG again, will have a look at the incomer trip first tho lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I think I may get another TIG before I go for a big MIG again

Yes, I will do the same. I notice that a lot of the parts for my MIG are now discontinued, however, a lot of MIG parts are pretty universal apart from the electronics

I quite fancy an ESAB  AC TIG of about 200A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At work we had a lot of trouble with the early aristotigs by esab, brilliant when they worked. Out of the newer stuff, I prefer the Kemppi's, but will prob end up with a transtig of some description

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...