The Transducer Thread

It is about time there was a thread for Transducer issues with fitting etc ..................

One of the biggest issues is 'Rooster trails', where water rushes between the transom and the transducer bracket, then it creates a rooster trail as it exits the bracket. The normal solution for this is to angle the transducer down by just a couple of degrees, which closes the gap and deflects the water.

My port mounted Panoptics transducer has 2 positions, level for forward scan, and angled up for down scan. In the forward scan position it is fine as I have a Garmin deflector plate on it, but if I angle it up to down scan it sends a rooster trail almost 4ft high (higher than the A frame) at 30kns. This is due to water being funnelled through the transducer bracket.

Although I normally use it on forward scan (great for wrecking), I decided today to fix the water funnel issue by fitting a small piece of plastic on the bracket. The plastic needs to be very tough, but also quite flexible, and the front cover of a plastic file folder (stolen from the wife) seems to be about right. The plastic needs to 'fill' the square hole in the bracket design to stop it acting as an inverted funnel. Another solution to this issue is to fit an inverted piece of guttering over the transducer, but for me that is a 'no no' as I need to get a spanner on the bracket bolts whilst drifting to adjust the angle.

I intend to use the downscan more when I am slow jigging.

I am hoping this simple fix will sort it out, the pictures show it angled up in the down scan position

1949701878_Pano3.thumb.JPG.a34f20017016743d9d01b48006f784c1.JPG

1160103480_Pano2.thumb.JPG.e62d33320ecb4f712b213f48673b8ab1.JPG

341310146_Pano1.thumb.JPG.cb91c361dd66b3a557ea8c47e3499087.JPG

Edited by GPSguru

1 minute ago, GPSguru said:

Just to add to the above .........

If the simple fix works, then I will make a permanent fix using 316 SS shim, that I will heat treat to make it very springy with oil tempering.

However, it needs testing first

I'm wondering whether water would still get round the sides of the plastic at speed, then over the 'ducer and up. You might need to have a few tries with different shaped bits of plastic before you find the right one.

55 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

I'm wondering whether water would still get round the sides of the plastic at speed, then over the 'ducer and up. You might need to have a few tries with different shaped bits of plastic before you find the right one.

The Mk 1 eyeball is always the best weapon for diagnosis of any transducer issue. I got Kyle on the helm and looked over the stern to see the extent of the problem and just placing my finger in the bracket stopped it completely. Also, the water pressure didn't feel immense. I have lived with it for the last 2 years as I generally use Forward scan, which closes the gap and the Garmin deflector plate butts up nicely just level with the bottom of the transom.

So the next trip out will be the same, he will drive the boat and I will take a view of the transducer bracket to see what else needs fixing .......

Edited by GPSguru

My panoptics is the bigger bulky pc30 which like yours has a gap at the front of the transducer, only bigger. I just assumed it would cause water to spray up so used a simple short length of aluminium angled bracket which I installed using the same mounting screws to fix to the hull. This is fixed directly in front of the engine as the transom has to deep a V to place to the side of the engine, besides the bulky lump on almost any degree of V would cause issues. 

As you can see rather than screw direct to the hull I use blocks of pvc which allow for far more changing of positions and different transducers without having to put lots of holes in the transom (which can often lead to rotten transoms). 

In the past Ive made spray shields from an old plastic fuel can that had a leek, that way I can make them what ever size I choose.

Im loving the panoptics but find it picks up plastics far better than metal jigs. Seeing the fish go for the lures is such a buzz, as is seeing when a shark goes for the fish hooked!!!

_DSC4251.jpg.b1ff865fb5aa0e8d1cacd5d4c45898ef.jpg

_DSC4252.jpg.2506754dae25c3aa2790ea4307117c3e.jpg

_DSC4253.jpg.29875f901b19d0df43e120e654e1aa4e.jpg

_DSC4254.jpg.618471d788a889ea880472ffa78f15b9.jpg

_DSC4255.jpg.d1e60baff97ae3fe03cba09ab546e292.jpg

41 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I have the same shaped transducer as you Ian. Mine doesn’t move, mainly because it’s under the swim platform and can’t be reached. It seems to operate ok. 

That means you can only have it as forward or down and not switch between the two modes ? I am guessing you have it in forward scan mode ?

Also, being under the swim platform is a bonus for not being aggravated by rooster trails 👍

20 hours ago, JDP said:

My panoptics is the bigger bulky pc30 which like yours has a gap at the front of the transducer, only bigger. I just assumed it would cause water to spray up so used a simple short length of aluminium angled bracket which I installed using the same mounting screws to fix to the hull. This is fixed directly in front of the engine as the transom has to deep a V to place to the side of the engine, besides the bulky lump on almost any degree of V would cause issues. 

As you can see rather than screw direct to the hull I use blocks of pvc which allow for far more changing of positions and different transducers without having to put lots of holes in the transom (which can often lead to rotten transoms). 

In the past Ive made spray shields from an old plastic fuel can that had a leek, that way I can make them what ever size I choose.

Im loving the panoptics but find it picks up plastics far better than metal jigs. Seeing the fish go for the lures is such a buzz, as is seeing when a shark goes for the fish hooked!!!

_DSC4251.jpg.b1ff865fb5aa0e8d1cacd5d4c45898ef.jpg

_DSC4252.jpg.2506754dae25c3aa2790ea4307117c3e.jpg

_DSC4253.jpg.29875f901b19d0df43e120e654e1aa4e.jpg

_DSC4254.jpg.618471d788a889ea880472ffa78f15b9.jpg

_DSC4255.jpg.d1e60baff97ae3fe03cba09ab546e292.jpg

Yes, a nice neat solution Jon.

I have gone down the road of simplicity to enable me to decide exactly what needs doing, then I will make a permanent solution with either 316 or marine grade aluminium.

My solution needs to work in both transducer positions, and enable me to reach over the transom and alter the position whilst at sea.

However, Ali and SS are not good bedfellows for electrolytic corrosion, so I will hopefully be able to lay my hands on some very thin food grade 316.

But yes, the panoptix transducers are a big piece of kit !

Edited by GPSguru

9 hours ago, GPSguru said:

That means you can only have it as forward or down and not switch between the two modes ? I am guessing you have it in forward scan mode ?

Also, being under the swim platform is a bonus for not being aggravated by rooster trails 👍

It’s not really an issue for me tbh. It does forward scan, then I have a GT40 for the traditional. I can side scan too.