Jump to content

Shimano ocea jigger.


 Share

Recommended Posts

Not a single 1500hg in the uk. Why is this country bloody useless for quality gear? I suppose it’s the old ‘too costly to have on the shelf job’ Ah well I will order a couple direct from Japan like I did with the conquest and my other jigger.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a shame. I heard somewhere that the UK is such a small market for the likes of Shimano, Daiwa etc that we only get a very limited selection of their total catalogue, which is why it often makes sense for us to order internationally to get the really good stuff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DINOBOY said:

Not a single 1500hg in the uk. Why is this country bloody useless for quality gear? I suppose it’s the old ‘too costly to have on the shelf job’ Ah well I will order a couple direct from Japan like I did with the conquest and my other jigger.  

There sre also no charter specials and no 8 - 15 kenzakis.

Much of the problem is all about shipping and container holdups.

If you want a decent jigging reel then look no further than the maxel 25H. Terry  @Terry Smith  still has a couple in stock but I bought the last RH silver 25H today to match the one I already have. Fantastic slow jigging reels and probably better quality than shimano for the internal components.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Andy135 said:

It's a shame. I heard somewhere that the UK is such a small market for the likes of Shimano, Daiwa etc that we only get a very limited selection of their total catalogue, which is why it often makes sense for us to order internationally to get the really good stuff.

Yeah does my head in they don’t sell the good stuff here, I love shimano reels. Daiwa are the same I have a ryoga 2025 and want another but getting one here is not an option. I don’t mind buying from Japan as they are no hassle to deal with but when spending big money on gear there’s no substitute to having it in your hand to have a bloody good play before shelling the cash. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JonC said:

I remember walking around a Bass Pro shop in Florida, they had more reels in their display cabinets than I thought was possible. 

If you mean the one on international drive I’ve been in there a couple times. Absolutely awesome shop. 👌

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If its for jigging or micro jigging why not try a Daiwa Lexa if you have all Daiwa reels available (being British reels!). Lexa's have good line capacity and more drag than most people will ever use in the UK and more than the 1500 ocea.

For a small population we have an incredible amount of gear on offer, even rivalling the USA in variety and price. This tackle world store in the video is one of 45 stores over here. The store I use most "Complete angler " has 600 outlets around the country.  There are 115 BCF mega stores (boating fishing camping ) stores, 60 anaconda stores and hundreds of smaller independent store that often specialise in high end gear. 

The boating stores are equally large and competitive around the country. Most boaters don't have just one boat, its like fishing rods you need your offshore rig, inshore boat and river boat etc!!!!

The only difference being while the UK has a huge forum based group of anglers, here there are far fewer.

Personally the ocea jigger is very over priced in my opinion, there are plenty of reels half the price and with more stopping power. Maybe the stopping of angry fish isn't so important for wrecking etc but head overseas 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm always amazed with the choice on offer for anglers in Australia and the US. We can only keep up the pressure on the government here to implement a proper sport fishing infrastructure complete with licensing and commercial bans...

#livinginhope

#wontholdmybreath

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DINOBOY said:

If you mean the one on international drive I’ve been in there a couple times. Absolutely awesome shop. 👌

I don’t remember the road but there was  a bunch of raccoons in the roof. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, JDP said:

If its for jigging or micro jigging why not try a Daiwa Lexa if you have all Daiwa reels available (being British reels!). Lexa's have good line capacity and more drag than most people will ever use in the UK and more than the 1500 ocea.

For a small population we have an incredible amount of gear on offer, even rivalling the USA in variety and price. This tackle world store in the video is one of 45 stores over here. The store I use most "Complete angler " has 600 outlets around the country.  There are 115 BCF mega stores (boating fishing camping ) stores, 60 anaconda stores and hundreds of smaller independent store that often specialise in high end gear. 

The boating stores are equally large and competitive around the country. Most boaters don't have just one boat, its like fishing rods you need your offshore rig, inshore boat and river boat etc!!!!

The only difference being while the UK has a huge forum based group of anglers, here there are far fewer.

Personally the ocea jigger is very over priced in my opinion, there are plenty of reels half the price and with more stopping power. Maybe the stopping of angry fish isn't so important for wrecking etc but head overseas 

 

 

 

I get you but to be honest I don’t require loads of drag 7-10kg is plenty, I like the ocea’s because they are compact well made and reliable. Ans daiwa are Japanese 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So a lot of the UK market stuff is made here in the UK? Seem to recall most Diawa gear (coarse) carrying the Union Jack badge on it hence why I thought they were a British company. I see they have a UK factory......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you know what they make in the Daiwa factory over there ? I thought it was mostly rods.

I had considered a ocea jigger but they seem way overpriced for what they are. My old tyrnos 12 has more stopping power and a silky drag even after numerous tuna etc. Also the tyrnos 12 were just 100 quid before the 2 speed came out.

For my next reel I will go with the Lexa as these are just so easy to let them fish themselves. I set one up that has just enough pressure to pull line as the boat rocks, so once I fast drop to 30m I then set it to just drop as the boat rocks giving it a slow action with the rod in the holder. I have another rod setup which I work faster by hand . Once the slow one reaches bottom I simply retrieve back to around 30m and let it work itself back down. The rod in the holder catches the most fish by far. Its a great way to jig two rods when solo in your own boat.

 

1397702210_ScreenShot2021-03-27at1_25_10pm.png.701eed279d2ed47876b302f0367e8407.png

 

 

Edited by JDP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lovely reel but it’s massive compared to the  1500 jigger, my conquest 200 is smaller again. I’m fishing into 125-150ft  125g jigs or 175g of lead with a live bait. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In an attempt to try and explain a little about the Shimano stock situation in the UK it may help to understand the ordering process.

It appears that some stock is only introduced based on the demand created by pre-orders which is creating long league times for the more specialist tackle.

I've had the Ocea Jiggers on pre-order for some time now and the latest ETA I've been given is sometime mid/late April. (Price Promise by the way)

Its worth noting that genuine Shimano dealers as from Sept 2019 have had to sign and agree to something Shimano call an "Export Ban".

This restricts the free movement of products between certain countries in an attempt to create a level playing field on pricing and to establish exactly where in the world the markets are for certain models.

Basically it should not be possible to import direct from Japan??? (right, we all know this isn't a fact)

Very contentious I know especially when it seems to appear that everyone else has the stock and we don't but it has its benefits longer term.

If everyone in the UK ordered their Ocea Jigger from the UK then the proof of demand will create better availability.

The UK is still seen as a very small player within Shimano worldwide but maybe if we all purchased from home we can gain more credibility.

Believe me I'm as frustrated as anyone else having to wait such long periods before stock is available but it is not without trying.

This post wont magic up the stock but I hope it explains the problems we have as suppliers.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shimano have some very odd ideas.... They want to level the playing field by not selling stuff so as to force people to buy from abroad or buy a different brand? Often US and Aus prices are considerably cheaper than the UK, and no doubt Japan as well?

What are these longer term benefits you speak of? No tackle = No Fishing = No Fish = No Benefit.......

A local charter boat was saying Shimano offered to sponsor him by kitting boat out with all shimano gear, the downside, they wanted to be able to decide more or less hours before hand that they wanted a corporate day/week with no notice and expected the skipper to drop his regulars just like that..... Needless to say, the boat is equipped with ABU/PENN/AKIOS equipped and fully booked well in advance

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Must be very frustrating for traders like yourselves basically being robbed of sales , I remember a friend in the tackle shot trade around 30 years ago saying shimano and daiwa were both asses to deal with and he was a premier dealer too. The amount he had to spend on stock was obscene and not allowed to supply other non daiwa dealers with stock. Another mate was told by shimano they wanted a minimum 11k order to deal with him this was around 10 years ago I used to go to the big Birmingham trade show with him which was a good day out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

Shimano have some very odd ideas.... They want to level the playing field by not selling stuff so as to force people to buy from abroad or buy a different brand? Often US and Aus prices are considerably cheaper than the UK, and no doubt Japan as well?

What are these longer term benefits you speak of? No tackle = No Fishing = No Fish = No Benefit.......

A local charter boat was saying Shimano offered to sponsor him by kitting boat out with all shimano gear, the downside, they wanted to be able to decide more or less hours before hand that they wanted a corporate day/week with no notice and expected the skipper to drop his regulars just like that..... Needless to say, the boat is equipped with ABU/PENN/AKIOS equipped and fully booked well in advance

I agree the ideas seem odd but its simply because the UK market is so small compared to Shimano globally.

Yes its obvious that the UK market would be larger if we had the stock to make it that way and I couldn't agree more, I want to sell the stuff.

The level playing field is more to do with pricing as some countries have monetary advantages over others especially the UK, Beit better rates of exchange, cheaper shipping costs or an already established larger market, hence a lot of gear is for sale cheaper in some overseas countries.

The Export ban is designed to stop people purchasing from overseas not encourage it so that longer term the UK can could become a more creditable market to Shimano and supply and prices may be better.

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way attempting to defend Shimano as I hate the way this works at the moment.

I'm trying to run a business (which is my living) whilst maintaining supply of products that remain out of my reach.

Whilst Shimano products in general are of reliable quality I personally feel they are missing out on huge sales potential by the lack of supply and there are other brands out there as you say, the choice is down to you at the end of the day.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To answer you DINOBOY, YES!!! it is very frustrating not being able to supply which is the main reason I made the attempt to explain the situation from a suppliers point.

If I had control of Shimano supply Jigabite would be IN STOCK NOW but I'm its the hands of the Shimano Giants and its not a nice feeling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi terry, it’s a sad job they what they are doing. I spoke to one of my fishing buddies last nite I put your way ‘Vaughun’ he’s very happy with your service 👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's great, it all helps and is very much appreciated.

The vast majority of my business relies on recommendations and reviews so thanks.

Let me know if you are still interested in the Ocea Jiggers as I will not be beaten on price within the UK.

Failing that you might want to check out the Maxel range, especially the Rage 20 and 25.

Maxel have done more innovations to the world of jigging reels in the last few years then all the other manufacturers put together and the Rage is a perfect work of art.

They are high-end reels and sell really well but I guess If it had a Shimano Badge sales would fly?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Shimano have some very odd ideas.... They want to level the playing field by not selling stuff so as to force people to buy from abroad or buy a different brand? Often US and Aus prices are considerably cheaper than the UK, and no doubt Japan as well?

What are these longer term benefits you speak of? No tackle = No Fishing = No Fish = No Benefit.......

A local charter boat was saying Shimano offered to sponsor him by kitting boat out with all shimano gear, the downside, they wanted to be able to decide more or less hours before hand that they wanted a corporate day/week with no notice and expected the skipper to drop his regulars just like that..... Needless to say, the boat is equipped with ABU/PENN/AKIOS equipped and fully booked well in advance

The boats my daughter skippers are sponsored by both Shimano and Daiwa with a very relaxed easy going relationship. Both manufactures reps will hire the the boats and fish with each other for a day of banter and a night of alcohol at the boat shed. This week she had reps from both sides, its something she looks forward to when every they all get together. Its also not a case of matching outfits with manufactures, some Shimano rods have Daiwa reels and some Daiwa rods have Shimano reels on them. They are what's known as tackle testers, which means they get gear without branding or names to test, some of which won't ever make it to market if it fails. 

  • Like 2
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played with a couple of ocea jiggers today, these were the new custom f grey models with the extra fine tune thumb break and longer handles in the 1500 models. Funny thing is you can get these at all stores here in Oz but very few have made it to the USA shelves. On Shimano's new grappler and JDM rods they were a beutifull little match, however that 1500 model is very small. Its amazing that these little things are more expensive than a big tiagra etc or deep drop Ellectric reel.  Comparing it with a Talica 12 in my hand the Talica felt like a more robust bit of kit but no where near as cute!!!...

Had the intension of picking up a Lexa but due to their popularity the store was sold out again.

Just read this interesting note on the jiggers https://www.anglers-secrets.com/ocea-jigger-1500-or-2000/  

Edited by JDP
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having been following a thread on another forum regarding the fact people are having to send their Shimano Stellas back to the US for servicing because the UK is unable to supply parts and carry out these higher end reels services I would be wary about buying any high end reels in the UK. Is this something you have considered ?

Buy the way I may try and pick up one of limited edition ocea jiggers this week in 3000 or 4000 size to see how they go.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I put a fair bit of research into the 1500 before buying, it will handle anything you might encounter while jigging in UK waters, I also have the ocea conquest 200HG which is tiny compared to the 1500 I use this for all my soft plastic work. As for servicing I do it all myself, all pretty simple. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...