Jersey Girl's shakedown trip

Jersey Girl had her engine serviced today,

Meu9SoL.jpg

and after having been given a clean bill of health @Saintly Fish and I took her for her first run out on the Solent. Wind was 8-9mph from the NE, so not flat calm but plenty flat enough for a play.

We took a couple of mackerel rods with us, more out of hope than expectation...

BmiUNO7.jpg

But after a couple of fruitless drifts we decided to move further up the Solent.

Upon finding a patch of smooth water it would have been rude not to see what she could do, so we opened her up and watched the plotter as the knots climbed.

After making north of 30kts we hit a rough patch and for a moment Neil gets airborne, floating like an astronaut in zero gravity 🤣. After coming back down to earth I give him the helm and we try another run - we make 35kts with rpms to spare but we run out of smooth water so back off the throttle. 

Neil then has a play with the helm and turns her into a series of tight turns...

...at 25kts! She grips the water all the way round, and round, and round! Here's a pic of our trail.

eIAO2N2.jpg

Eventually we head back into the marina, stopping to fill up at the fuel jetty. A few little jobs identified (volts could be higher so need to check the House is receiving a charge, need to figure out the best place for the new rod holders, need to tweak the angle of the Active Imaging transducer as it was losing bottom above 10kts) but all in all not a bad way to spend a Friday! Massive thanks to Neil for being my wingman today and for generously buying lunch and celebratory beverages 👍👍 Cheers!

Good day out gents 🙂 

you’ll need to get it to WOT to check she’s propped right. Mine wasn’t originally but got it done by Yam 🙂 

If you’re not running a stainless prop I’d also suggest it for extra 2-3knts as well 🙂 

congratulations on first trip 🙂 any fish?

No fish. Already has a stainless prop, and agree, we needed WOT. Will try again on Sunday. Mirror calm conditions forecast but... I've just put another 150 litres in the tanks so she won't be making 40kts I don't reckon!

Andy, great to meet up again, many thanks for the invite to share in your special moment. 
I could tell you were a bit nervous when we left the safety of the fork lift, but you soon settled into her . 
A good afternoon out with some giggles , and proper belly laughs (at Jons expense). 
Here’s a couple more shots from today..

30 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Andy, great to meet up again, many thanks for the invite to share in your special moment. 
I could tell you were a bit nervous when we left the safety of the fork lift, but you soon settled into her . 
A good afternoon out with some giggles , and proper belly laughs (at Jons expense). 
Here’s a couple more shots from today..

Some great pics there! Top work.

Yes, I was just a tad nervous! But I needn't have been looking back. She's a very forgiving boat and of course it helped hugely having a more experienced hand on board - many thanks 👍👍

Just now, Andy135 said:

Some great pics there! Top work.

Yes, I was just a tad nervous! But I needn't have been looking back. She's a very forgiving boat and of course it helped hugely having a more experienced hand on board - many thanks 👍👍

Get real, I was only there to baby sit the dog !

To be fair, she needed it! She didn't seem impressed with all the rocking and rolling we were doing.

What you didn't see after you left is that no sooner had we got onto the gang way up to the exit than she let go the world's biggest shit right in front of two yachties wheeling a trolley full of gear! I could have died with embarrassment! Luckily I had a poo bag with me so avoided being brow-beaten as well as being embarrassed 😳😳🤣

1 minute ago, Andy135 said:

To be fair, she needed it! She didn't seem impressed with all the rocking and rolling we were doing.

What you didn't see after you left is that no sooner had we got onto the gang way up to the exit than she let go the world's biggest shit right in front of two yachties wheeling a trolley full of gear! I could have died with embarrassment! Luckily I had a poo bag with me so avoided being brow-beaten as well as being embarrassed 😳😳🤣

LOL funny you say that, whilst we were coming back there was a whiff of shit in the cab. I thought it was you !!

Looking good! 

You’ll soon work out how she handles 🙂 

be careful with fast turns at speed. It’s easier with hydraulic steering but puts a lot of strain on the system, best off throttling back for the turn then throttle down to come out. Else all the torque is absorbed by the steering... you don’t feel it on hydraulic unlike cable when it fights back! 

looks like you’re trimmed well which is good 🙂 should take a head sea nicely:) 

like all things, got to get out there and use it 😉 

you need a nice rocket rod holder now 😉 get your rods up there and a pirate flag 😁😁😁

5 minutes ago, JonC said:

The first time I took my boat out my boy gave me a price estimate of every boat and kept pointing out the worst ones to hit. That was handy. 

Sounds like Daisy..... she waddled down the walkway to the pontoon and dropped small ones all the way down.... I was following after with a poo bag very embarrassed 🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Sounds like Daisy..... she waddled down the walkway to the pontoon and dropped small ones all the way down.... I was following after with a poo bag very embarrassed 🤣🤣🤣🤣

My boy didn’t shit on the pontoon, he’s not that bad! 

5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Looking good! 

You’ll soon work out how she handles 🙂 

be careful with fast turns at speed. It’s easier with hydraulic steering but puts a lot of strain on the system, best off throttling back for the turn then throttle down to come out. Else all the torque is absorbed by the steering... you don’t feel it on hydraulic unlike cable when it fights back! 

looks like you’re trimmed well which is good 🙂 should take a head sea nicely:) 

like all things, got to get out there and use it 😉 

you need a nice rocket rod holder now 😉 get your rods up there and a pirate flag 😁😁😁

How fast could you turn before hooking in that? 

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

The temptation is to keep the throttle down all the way 😉 

Yeah but it wasn’t my boat so it was slowly in, build up speed gradually then slow to come out. 
she tracked beautifully with no slide or cavitation .

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2020 at 9:34 PM, Odyssey said:

I can turn at 30 knots but I’m throttling back as I turn, then returning on the outward part of the apex

Not only is throttle adjustment required (not always) , but you should also trim in and out of the turn ............

When I specified the Bluefin build i also specified Mercury 'Active Trim' ........... being GPS controlled not only does it trim on speed but also if you turn it trims in and out absolutely spot on ........ It really is a lazy sod's bit of kit, but i wouldn't be without it now .............. I have tried manually trimming at speed but active trim is always spot on

spacer.png

If the sea is flat (ish) and I am lightly loaded then I use profile 4 or 5 ................. normally profile 3 covers normal conditions, if it gets a bit bumpy and I need to push the bow down then I use profile 2 .......................

Edited by GPSguru

• Andy135 changed the title to Jersey Girl's shakedown trip