Precision cutting tool.

Saintly Fish

Ok so I want to cut a hole in my dash. It’s for a new switch but not a large one. I’m thinking a dremel will do the job? 
Ive had a quick look in b&q but could see (no glasses again) which attachment will do the job. The discs all looked too large. Do they do a mini router attachment? Or will any other tool do the job better? 
Recommendations please!

The precision method would be:-

Cut a large hole out of the dash with a hole saw, enough to clear the terminals and wires etc.

Get a cover laser jet cut to your spec from ally/stainless or whatever, fit swith to cover then screw cover down. Or in other words, a single switch switch panel. Or get one made that emcompasses all your switches...... Other than that you are pretty much stuck with manual methods

43 minutes ago, JonC said:

How about with a multi tool? Less aggressive than a jigsaw, and the blade won’t go through into the back of the dashboard potentially cutting wires etc

That’s why I thought a dremel would do the trick. I don’t have one though and don’t want to go buy one if they don’t have a decent attachment small enough for the job. 

You obviously have access to back of the dash, just makesure everything is out of the way and go steady. For a hole that size, my preferred option would be the hand held junior hack saw blade. Will only take a couple of minutes, 6mm drill for the corners and a file up afterwards.

2 minutes ago, JonC said:

Today, if I die I will die happy, two agreements from the pensioners. Only need @Geoffnow to comment and it’s a clean sweep! 

Ok, fess up. You bribed them with Werther's didn't you?

Just now, Saintly Fish said:

Shame that @Maverick doesn’t think enough of you to spell your name correctly though.

It's his eyesight that's letting him down. He's not quite old enough to have had his eyes lasered yet. Apparently all the really old ones have had it done already.

8 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Apparently all the really old ones have had it done already.

I am amazed the Jon has not remonstrated with Andy with regard to thread drift and relocation. THE really old one is still waiting (about 15 years) for the cataracts to "ripen".

Anyway, back to the original thread topic, use a multitool. Jon's method is what I have done on several occasions - it works well. For the 12mm cut reduce the blade width to about 9mm (I use a 115mmx0.8mm cutting blade in a small disc cutter rather than grinding it down) to allow for the cutter sideways vibration. As Zook said accurately drill a small hole (2mm ish. dia.) in each corner first. Neil if you only have one blade cut the long sides before reducing the blade width:classic_wink:. When using the narrow blade take care as it could break fairly easily (don't ask me how I know). Good luck. Geoff.☺️

Edited by Geoff