Lifting off an outboard

First part of transom replacement will be to take the engine off. 

Its a 1998 Yamaha 60hp 2 stroke, will it have lifting points I can use or is it just a case of putting a strap around it and adjusting it if it feels unbalanced?

Can I transport it on its side? might as well drop it off for the service while its off. I have a car engine stand I think I can bolt some wood to for storing it

I don't know your engine but it will either have plate steel lifting eyes under the cowling (my 80hp Suzuki does), or it will take eye bolts that are screwed into the flywheel, similar to the one in the link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outboard-Mercury-Mariner-Force-Yamaha-Lifting-Ring-Eye-Tool-USA-MADE-/281166514851

2 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Seeing as you're lifting it, do you want to lift it into my truck?

🤣🤣

Cheeky.

Got down to the boat today. There is a lifting eye on the top of the engine. Got it stripped off ready to lift when I've made the stand to put it on

3 minutes ago, LostPiker said:

Cheeky.

Got down to the boat today. There is a lifting eye on the top of the engine. Got it stripped off ready to lift when I've made the stand to put it on

Of course!!

Hope you manage to turn it around quickly, If you need some nidaplast, talk to Geoff

13 hours ago, suzook12 said:

Of course!!

Hope you manage to turn it around quickly, If you need some nidaplast, talk to Geoff

Very funny Steve, but with a modicum of truth - we do have a few sheets of 15mm Nida that could be available, but collection would be the problem. Nida is great for deck areas, but not suitable for transom repair. Geoff.

Edited by Geoff

32 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Very funny Steve, but with a modicum of truth - we do have a few sheets of 15mm Nida that could be available, but they would collection would be the problem. Nida is great for deck areas, but not suitable for transom repair. Geoff.

Yeah, I know nida is not for structural use..... Been chatting to the european distributors for coosa board for transoms, doubt it'll come in cheap enough tho. Will be needing to put my order in very soon 👍