DIY Job

Tony smith

11 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Remind me, do you have an outboard or inboard Tony? If inboard, @JonC may be able to help.

Tut, tut ....... Tony has already posted in the boat thread .........

Definitely a VW tractor engine, and as usual, not enough room to swing a cat !

Draining the old oil is always an issue, I always use a  sump pump if i can, otherwise it is standing on your head undoing the sump plug

spacer.png

Edited by GPSguru

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Tut, tut ....... Tony has already posted in the boat thread .........

Definitely a VW tractor engine, and as usual, not enough room to swing a cat !

Draining the old oil is always an issue, I always use a  sump pump if i can, otherwise it is standing on your head undoing the sump plug

spacer.png

The vw tractor engine has a built in oil extraction pump, and the filter drops into a canister so a  very clean job 

The hardest bit of the service is removing the ironically named quick release hoses on the seawater pump. They are idiots. Remove the spring clips and put them safe or they may ping off into the depths of the bilge 

2 hours ago, JonC said:

The vw tractor engine has a built in oil extraction pump, and the filter drops into a canister so a  very clean job 

That is pretty handy. Beats using a hand pump.

Is there room under the sump to drop the oil into a shallow pan or can it only come out the top ?

Are those hose clips the sprung wire type ? Awful things

I bloody hate servicing inboards 🤣

Edited by GPSguru

53 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

That is pretty handy. Beats using a hand pump.

Is there room under the sump to drop the oil into a shallow pan or can it only come out the top ?

Are those hose clips the sprung wire type ? Awful things

I bloody servicing inboards 🤣

The clips are heavy wire, they slide into the plastic connector locking it in place.

I don’t know if it’s possible to access the sump plug in the bilge, but it would be mad to touch it on a ten year old engine that has probably never been touched, asking for trouble. I think it would be engine out if you wanted to do that. 

1 hour ago, JonC said:

The clips are heavy wire, they slide into the plastic connector locking it in place.

I don’t know if it’s possible to access the sump plug in the bilge, but it would be mad to touch it on a ten year old engine that has probably never been touched, asking for trouble. I think it would be engine out if you wanted to do that. 

I dislike like servicing inboards because even the simplest job is usually a major faff due to lack on space.

Having said that, I changed a starter motor ( knackered solenoid) on a merc 100 outboard this week and dropped one of the 3 special mounting bolts in the drink. Some judicious work with a fine mesh landing net at low tide saved the day.

30 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

Some judicious work with a fine mesh landing net at low tide saved the day.

Luck you mean - judicious work - I ask you. As they say in LIncolnshire (and everywhere else) you jammy git!!! Geoff.:classic_wink:☺️:classic_wink:

How did it all go? The hoses need a really good pull to get on and off. I changed the belt while I was there, it’s no harder. 
If you haven’t already got one Stuart Monk sells raw water alarms which are a very good idea, easy to fit. 

Hi Lads

all done will be much easier next time 

who said about the clip that flicks out on the impeller 

you guess it ping bottom of the boat 

found it ok 

bit of a job trying to get the boat on the swinging mooring on my own. 
it’s so windy at Gosport 

dinghy trip back to shore had to bail out half way back what a day 

nice to know she’s all serviced and ready for the sharking 👍

1 hour ago, Tony smith said:

Hi Lads

all done will be much easier next time 

who said about the clip that flicks out on the impeller 

you guess it ping bottom of the boat 

found it ok 

bit of a job trying to get the boat on the swinging mooring on my own. 
it’s so windy at Gosport 

dinghy trip back to shore had to bail out half way back what a day 

nice to know she’s all serviced and ready for the sharking 👍

Well  done, that’s that sorted for another year. 
Did your extractor pump work ok? 
Something I forgot to mention was the water sensor on the fuel filter ( the one mounted on the block near the injector pump) - disconnect  the wire from the connector and be gentle with it, they cost over £100 I found out.