Jump to content

Aux motor hp ?


 Share

Recommended Posts

Morning all,

I know I will get some good advice here (I hope 😉)

So I have a 15ft Microplus and I'm looking around for an aux motor just in case of engine trouble, I'm thinking a 5hp minimum but I've been offered a good condition Mercury 3.5hp for £160, would I get away with that or is it too small for the job ?

I'm not going to France or anything just inland waterways and coastal boating near to the Itchen.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Thanks

Edited by andyO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally I would go for the 5hp. I use a 3.5 Mercury on my tender which is light and with me and my son it works pretty well. But I still find I want the 5hp. Ok, so you are using yours as a back up to get you to land ASAP incase the main engine fails, and not as a full time engine. At slack water or with the tide the 3.5 will do. But against the tide you would probably struggle or it would be a real slow journey. 
At £160 though I’d be tempted to buy the 3.5 and try it out. If it’s no good sell it on and buy a 5hp. 
you won’t loose any money. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Personally I would go for the 5hp. I use a 3.5 Mercury on my tender which is light and with me and my son it works pretty well. But I still find I want the 5hp. Ok, so you are using yours as a back up to get you to land ASAP incase the main engine fails, and not as a full time engine. At slack water or with the tide the 3.5 will do. But against the tide you would probably struggle or it would be a real slow journey. 
At £160 though I’d be tempted to buy the 3.5 and try it out. If it’s no good sell it on and buy a 5hp. 
you won’t loose any money. 

Exactly what I was thinking, there's 3.5hp motors online for £395 so maybe just buy it anyway and make a few quid towards a bigger one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really don't know where people get their prices from, but having said that, I see new ones have gone up by around 50% this year, last year when I was looking, new ones around that size were around the £500 mark, and people asking same for used.....

Andy, if you can afford to sit on it for a while and not need to sell to put in to a new one (5hp up) do it at tha sorta money....

As for used ob's, I've found 6hp are/were better priced than 4's and 5's so I ended up with a 6hp. 4's are premium in this area because you get hammered on the river licence if bigger than a 4 and may as well have 140.....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, suzook12 said:

I really don't know where people get their prices from, but having said that, I see new ones have gone up by around 50% this year, last year when I was looking, new ones around that size were around the £500 mark, and people asking same for used.....

Andy, if you can afford to sit on it for a while and not need to sell to put in to a new one (5hp up) do it at tha sorta money....

As for used ob's, I've found 6hp are/were better priced than 4's and 5's so I ended up with a 6hp. 4's are premium in this area because you get hammered on the river licence if bigger than a 4 and may as well have 140.....

Yeah the dell boy in me thought it was a bargain to buy anyway haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Off to have a look and take it home if all is well this afternoon, may just tey it out and see what it's like and if no good just move it on and get a bigger hp,

Thanks for the advice everyone 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, andyO said:

Off to have a look and take it home if all is well this afternoon, may just tey it out and see what it's like and if no good just move it on and get a bigger hp,

Thanks for the advice everyone 

Always best to try these things while the main motor still works

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, suzook12 said:

I really don't know where people get their prices from, but having said that, I see new ones have gone up by around 50% this year, last year when I was looking, new ones around that size were around the £500 mark, and people asking same for used.....

Andy, if you can afford to sit on it for a while and not need to sell to put in to a new one (5hp up) do it at tha sorta money....

As for used ob's, I've found 6hp are/were better priced than 4's and 5's so I ended up with a 6hp. 4's are premium in this area because you get hammered on the river licence if bigger than a 4 and may as well have 140.....

Can you just put a different sticker on the cowling like people do with electric bikes? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JonC said:

Can you just put a different sticker on the cowling like people do with electric bikes? 

You probably could now yeah with the modern engines, but the old 2 smokes, most the small ones were fwd ony and swiveled on the bracket, 5hp's tended to have fwd and rev

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...