Postman been...

11 hours ago, GPSguru said:

Avet's became 'the reel to have' about 7 - 10 years ago, now nearly everybody I know that had an avet has moved on for very good reason.

They may well be better now, but those that I remember in that history timeframe all had bearing issues with very little use. I guess if you were to change all the bearings from new, then it may well be a good reel.

I only have direct experience of older Avets, the newer models may well be fine, but it's like a Skoda, people still remember the originals, even though the latest offering have nothing in common with the older models apart from a name ...............

Perhaps I need to try one again ? , but right now I am happy with Fin Nor Marquesa MA2011 twin speed as my 'stand up' reels. No good for @Saintly Fish though, they don't make a flid version 🤣

Ok, this is interesting. Clearly we need to state that older Avets had bearing issues then, not all Avets.

I have four Avets, from the smallest SXJ to one of the largest, an EXW30 2 speed, and none of them have given any trouble. They are all less than 3 years old.

2 hours ago, Andy135 said:

Ok, this is interesting. Clearly we need to state that older Avets had bearing issues then, not all Avets.

I have four Avets, from the smallest SXJ to one of the largest, an EXW30 2 speed, and none of them have given any trouble. They are all less than 3 years old.

I think if I go down that road again it will be an Accurate with the twin drag system. However, I will see how these Fin Nor reels perform over time. The charters that have used them over the last couple of years are giving good feedback.

I have a twin-drag Accurate too. Not yet used it but it sure looks the part.

Interestingly it's not just the Accurates that have twin drags. The bigger Avets also have two drag plates. I suspect other manufacturers will also have their own versions available.

5 hours ago, Andy135 said:

How much use they had? 😉 

I think one issue is how much drag they have.... key is to wash throughly and slacken the drag off and don’t add more drag on the tensioner unless you’re in free spool! 😬😬😬

On 5/6/2021 at 4:01 PM, Andy135 said:

They're amazing at winching up dogfish 🐶🐟🤣

And blanking? Geoff. :classic_wink: - Sorry Andy, I know that I have not been even near the sea for years now, let alone catch any fish> Geoff.