Jump to content

Postman been...


 Share

Recommended Posts

Well happy 🙂 

Only had one new rod before and that was a budget downtider.... 

I most likely won’t buy a new rod again so this will need to do 40 years 🤣🤣

BB98914F-EF28-40FD-AFF2-F941AB6AFB71.jpeg

BB60BEAE-6540-46FF-AC47-770241A1FBA5.jpeg

FC9F9D65-A93A-49ED-9E7A-51B89AD48E18.jpeg

0148456A-1BB9-4000-B918-9DBE4E443A89.jpeg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

Looks cracking Luke. Are your guides spiralled ? 

Only on the big rod 🙂 

Rollers are really expensive and heavy, and not really needed. If you go spiral it’ll help on the big ones not just the blues etc 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

Only on the big rod 🙂 

Rollers are really expensive and heavy, and not really needed. If you go spiral it’ll help on the big ones not just the blues etc 🙂 

So what ratings have you had done?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

So what ratings have you had done?

2x 30lb 1x 50lb 

Done instead of another rod builder who after nearly 18 months didn’t finish rods 😡

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

2x 30lb 1x 50lb 

Done instead of another rod builder who after nearly 18 months didn’t finish rods 😡

Is that the guy that Neil upset? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

2x 30lb 1x 50lb 

Done instead of another rod builder who after nearly 18 months didn’t finish rods 😡

Definitely not a service anybody should Stan,d for!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’ve upset nobody in the rod building game............. yet

Oh yeah, sorry it was the stainless steel fabricator guy I was thinking of!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Saintly Fish said:

I’ve not upset one of them either thanks! 

I can’t believe you’ve got this far into the week without upsetting someone 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

Well happy 🙂 

Only had one new rod before and that was a budget downtider.... 

I most likely won’t buy a new rod again so this will need to do 40 years 🤣🤣

BB98914F-EF28-40FD-AFF2-F941AB6AFB71.jpeg

BB60BEAE-6540-46FF-AC47-770241A1FBA5.jpeg

FC9F9D65-A93A-49ED-9E7A-51B89AD48E18.jpeg

0148456A-1BB9-4000-B918-9DBE4E443A89.jpeg

The rods are really nice, not so sure about the reel though ! Not keen on avets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GPSguru said:

The rods are really nice, not so sure about the reel though ! Not keen on avets.

What’s wrong with them? 😬😬😬😬

Ive mainly got Penn internationals for big stuff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

What’s wrong with them? 😬😬😬😬

Ive mainly got Penn internationals for big stuff. 

In my experience incredibly unreliable, but they are very nice to use. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Odyssey said:

What’s wrong with them? 😬😬😬😬

 

A tenner says you'll get a response about crushed bearings on Avets.

Which isn't an Avet-specific issue. It can happen on all lever drags.

Edited to say he beat me to it! 🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, they need looking after for sure! Too easy to crank the drag up to max and use it as a winch....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2021 at 6:30 PM, Andy135 said:

Which isn't an Avet-specific issue

It does seem to happen very frequently on Avet's, which would make me ask whether the bearing is fit for purpose.

Also, the spindle rear bearing is a failure point causing the spool to lock up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, GPSguru said:

It does seem to happen very frequently on Avet's, which would make me ask whether the bearing is fit for purpose.

Also, the spindle rear bearing is a failure point causing the spool to lock up.

Can you share any data? How frequently is very frequently? And what percentage of reels have had issues?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it just feels like a case of someone had a problem with an Avet once and posted about it on the internet and now it's taken as gospel that these issues are inherent to all Avet models across all years of manufacture when in fact this may not be the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Andy135 said:

Can you share any data? How frequently is very frequently? And what percentage of reels have had issues?

I'm not saying you're wrong, but it just feels like a case of someone had a problem with an Avet once and posted about it on the internet and now it's taken as gospel that these issues are inherent to all Avet models across all years of manufacture when in fact this may not be the case.

 Avet's became 'the reel to have' about 7 - 10 years ago, now nearly everybody I know that had an avet has moved on for very good reason.

They may well be better now, but those that I remember in that history timeframe all had bearing issues with very little use. I guess if you were to change all the bearings from new, then it may well be a good reel.

I only have direct experience of older Avets, the newer models may well be fine, but it's like a Skoda, people still remember the originals, even though the latest offering have nothing in common with the older models apart from a name ...............

Perhaps I need to try one again ? , but right now I am happy with Fin Nor Marquesa MA2011 twin speed as my 'stand up' reels. No good for @Saintly Fish though, they don't make a flid version 🤣

 

 

Edited by GPSguru
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s quite well known....

Simon Batey from Simons Reel servicing has had to replace a lot of bearings in older reels. It’s also why you can pick them up cheaper....

The newer reels are more reliable apparently.

Fin Nor are lovely reels but getting spares is tricky which is why I’ve gone to Avet. I still love a bit of Gold on my internationals 😉 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I still love a bit of Gold on my internationals 😉 

Yes, I have fond memories of the Penn International 6/0. They were reliable big fish feels, built like a brick outhouse. I have often thought about getting an oldie to renovate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...